This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would this work? (laptop wifi-bridge related)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would this work? (laptop wifi-bridge related)

User Info: jakeDiLLa

jakeDiLLa
3 years ago#1
PC > Crossover cable > Router > Laptop with Wifi

I just want to move the laptop further from the PC. Would this work? Just wanna know before I waste my time trying it lol

EDIT: I should clarify, the router I'd be connecting the crossover to is not the same one broadcasting the wifi.
i5 3570k / Gigabyte 7970 WF3 3GB / 8GB DDR3 / 120GB SSD

User Info: gastaman

gastaman
3 years ago#2
Do you have the router already? If not, why not just get a longer cable? Also, you won't need a crossover cable if you're connecting to a router.
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200

jakeDiLLa
3 years ago#3
Okay so my ISP router with wifi is in the basement (I wasn't home during the install so of course they installed it in the least convenient spot)

I am on the main floor. I have my laptop in one room and my main PC in the other. My crossover cable is long but not that long, so I want to extend it. I have a spare wired router that I'm not using... could I just connect the crossover to it and connect a normal ethernet to my laptop and set it up as a bridge through the router?

gastaman
3 years ago#4
Yes.

The type of Ethernet cable won't matter, since you are connecting through a router, which, more than likely, has auto-switching ports.

Keep in mind, you'll probably just want to disable DHCP on the second router, effectively just utilizing it as a switch.

Also, is it not possible for you to just move the ISP provided router to a more convenient location? They aren't permanently bound to the location they are installed to initially.
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi

User Info: fatali

fatali
3 years ago#5
Why not just use a range extender for your wifi signal?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+with+4-port+Ethernet+Switch/1243081.p;jsessionid=03E46C61BE298EEE11ADC02A8EA14D7B.bbolsp-app01-181?id=1218240386270&skuId=1243081

There are other cheaper than this, but I just wanted to show you an example.

I have personally use this one:

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/portable-routers/dir-505-shareport-mobile-companion

it works and is pretty easy to setup, plus you don't need to put wires, just plug it to a power outlet and forget about it.
Mystery is the source of all true science.

gastaman
3 years ago#6
fatali posted...
Why not just use a range extender for your wifi signal?

Considering he is bridging his PC to his Laptop, I'd say that the problem isn't a weak signal, but rather no wifi available on his PC, which a range extender would not solve.

Edit:
@TC
What do you have connected to the ISP router in the basement? out of curiosity.

User Info: fatali

fatali
3 years ago#7
Most of the extenders have a wired connection too, so you can use them as hotspots for a router that does not have wireless.
Mystery is the source of all true science.

jakeDiLLa
3 years ago#8
Understand I would just go and buy a bridge/extender/powerline adapter, BUT (this is a big but) I have a ton of computer related stuff that sits around being useless, and I like to try and get rid of it or make use of it.

gastaman posted...
Yes.

The type of Ethernet cable won't matter, since you are connecting through a router, which, more than likely, has auto-switching ports.

Keep in mind, you'll probably just want to disable DHCP on the second router, effectively just utilizing it as a switch.

Also, is it not possible for you to just move the ISP provided router to a more convenient location? They aren't permanently bound to the location they are installed to initially.

Thanks a lot, this is the answer I was looking for :)

My ISP modem is connected to telephone line. I have tried moving it to another phone line upstairs but I believe some sort of filter was installed and since someone has been redoing the basement, it has been reduced to mess of wires. Every technician from my ISP/TV provider I've dealt with seems to do things in the STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE. I mean, who brings an HD Satellite box to hook up to an HDTV with COMPONENT INPUT ONLY and doesn't tell anyone that I CAN'T USE IT because it only has HDMI output.

Sorry to vent a bit there but these guys make my life as difficult as they possibly can while sucking money out of my wallet.

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
3 years ago#9
I had DSL before and for the modem , you don't need to hook up a filter to it.The filter are only for the phone and the alarm unit. If you are hooking up the modem > filter > phone jack, think thats not the way to go. Thats what the tech helpline told me.

I move my modem all the time when I had it, from upstairs to downstairs. I just had to make sure to remove the filters from the phone jacks.
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]

jakeDiLLa
3 years ago#10
Well it could be different for your ISP, the tech said it won't work on any phone line. He said specifically (from what I was told, because I was not home) where the modem would be installed is the only place it would work, because he had to rewire and install a filter or something of that nature.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would this work? (laptop wifi-bridge related)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived