This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would this work? (laptop wifi-bridge related)

#1jakeDiLLaPosted 8/16/2013 3:54:49 PM(edited)
PC > Crossover cable > Router > Laptop with Wifi

I just want to move the laptop further from the PC. Would this work? Just wanna know before I waste my time trying it lol

EDIT: I should clarify, the router I'd be connecting the crossover to is not the same one broadcasting the wifi.
---
i5 3570k / Gigabyte 7970 WF3 3GB / 8GB DDR3 / 120GB SSD
#2gastamanPosted 8/16/2013 4:02:25 PM
Do you have the router already? If not, why not just get a longer cable? Also, you won't need a crossover cable if you're connecting to a router.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#3jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 4:12:43 PM
Okay so my ISP router with wifi is in the basement (I wasn't home during the install so of course they installed it in the least convenient spot)

I am on the main floor. I have my laptop in one room and my main PC in the other. My crossover cable is long but not that long, so I want to extend it. I have a spare wired router that I'm not using... could I just connect the crossover to it and connect a normal ethernet to my laptop and set it up as a bridge through the router?
---
#4gastamanPosted 8/16/2013 4:34:20 PM
Yes.

The type of Ethernet cable won't matter, since you are connecting through a router, which, more than likely, has auto-switching ports.

Keep in mind, you'll probably just want to disable DHCP on the second router, effectively just utilizing it as a switch.

Also, is it not possible for you to just move the ISP provided router to a more convenient location? They aren't permanently bound to the location they are installed to initially.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
#5fataliPosted 8/16/2013 4:45:35 PM(edited)
Why not just use a range extender for your wifi signal?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+with+4-port+Ethernet+Switch/1243081.p;jsessionid=03E46C61BE298EEE11ADC02A8EA14D7B.bbolsp-app01-181?id=1218240386270&skuId=1243081

There are other cheaper than this, but I just wanted to show you an example.

I have personally use this one:

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/portable-routers/dir-505-shareport-mobile-companion

it works and is pretty easy to setup, plus you don't need to put wires, just plug it to a power outlet and forget about it.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6gastamanPosted 8/16/2013 4:54:32 PM(edited)
fatali posted...
Why not just use a range extender for your wifi signal?

Considering he is bridging his PC to his Laptop, I'd say that the problem isn't a weak signal, but rather no wifi available on his PC, which a range extender would not solve.

Edit:
@TC
What do you have connected to the ISP router in the basement? out of curiosity.
---
#7fataliPosted 8/16/2013 5:28:55 PM
Most of the extenders have a wired connection too, so you can use them as hotspots for a router that does not have wireless.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#8jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 9:25:28 AM
Understand I would just go and buy a bridge/extender/powerline adapter, BUT (this is a big but) I have a ton of computer related stuff that sits around being useless, and I like to try and get rid of it or make use of it.

gastaman posted...
Yes.

The type of Ethernet cable won't matter, since you are connecting through a router, which, more than likely, has auto-switching ports.

Keep in mind, you'll probably just want to disable DHCP on the second router, effectively just utilizing it as a switch.

Also, is it not possible for you to just move the ISP provided router to a more convenient location? They aren't permanently bound to the location they are installed to initially.

Thanks a lot, this is the answer I was looking for :)

My ISP modem is connected to telephone line. I have tried moving it to another phone line upstairs but I believe some sort of filter was installed and since someone has been redoing the basement, it has been reduced to mess of wires. Every technician from my ISP/TV provider I've dealt with seems to do things in the STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE. I mean, who brings an HD Satellite box to hook up to an HDTV with COMPONENT INPUT ONLY and doesn't tell anyone that I CAN'T USE IT because it only has HDMI output.

Sorry to vent a bit there but these guys make my life as difficult as they possibly can while sucking money out of my wallet.
---
#9phantasyPosted 8/17/2013 9:59:24 AM(edited)
I had DSL before and for the modem , you don't need to hook up a filter to it.The filter are only for the phone and the alarm unit. If you are hooking up the modem > filter > phone jack, think thats not the way to go. Thats what the tech helpline told me.

I move my modem all the time when I had it, from upstairs to downstairs. I just had to make sure to remove the filters from the phone jacks.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#10jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:41:58 AM
Well it could be different for your ISP, the tech said it won't work on any phone line. He said specifically (from what I was told, because I was not home) where the modem would be installed is the only place it would work, because he had to rewire and install a filter or something of that nature.
---