This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this laptop done for?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is this laptop done for?

User Info: Jeebajeeb

3 years ago#1
Hey so I got Sims 3 for my daughter, installed it on my laptop and let her play it. She comes to me later on saying that the laptop is 'too hot' so I come over and sure enough it was like an oven, and I checked the frames, it was getting something ridiculous like 3500+ FPS. It shut off promptly and the laptop is still really hot, what should I do? Not sure if trying to turn it on will make things worse, but at the same time I'm not sure it works yet either.
"You need glasses sucka! DAMNN!" *Gets downed* - The almighty Cole Train from Gears of War

User Info: LyokoNinja

3 years ago#2
It's almost certainly fine. The laptop probably just isn't limiting the refresh rate to whatever FPS the screen can display, so it's calculating (for lack of a better word) the most FPS it can. See if you can find a settings file where you installed The Sims 3. If it's in plain text, poke around until you can see something about refresh rate or limiting the frames per second. I don't have the game, so these are the best instructions I can give. I don't recommend running the game until you've limited the FPS to 60 or whatever so it doesn't heat up like that again, though.

User Info: Glitchwerks

3 years ago#3
I guess I'll state the obvious.

How was she using the laptop? On a flat surface like a table or in her lap?

A laptop playing a game will generate a lot of heat, especially if the laptop has a dedicated graphics card. The vents on the bottom will need to be unobstructed. She may not know that.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is this laptop done for?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived