This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: SSD or not? If not, why not?

#31Digital StormPosted 8/16/2013 9:07:41 PM
I bought one with the intention of taking full advantage of it but after my Windows install and some programs I'm left with little space. Not to forget, I reboot maybe twice a month so it's kind of wasted on me.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#32R i c kPosted 8/16/2013 9:10:14 PM
I basically never reboot, either. Boot times are one minor benefit to having an SSD. Not sure why so many people focus on it like it's the only one.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#33ShebeskiiPosted 8/17/2013 1:15:38 PM
nedrith posted...
Nicodimus posted...
R i c k posted...
Nicodimus posted...
I don't do most of the things you listed. I primarily have this machine to game on, since none of the next crop of consoles interest me. It's nice that Windows starts faster, but that's certainly not the main reason I bought a SSD. I hate loading screens, and they practically don't exist with one.

That doesn't change the fact that many games have negligible load times even on an HDD. You could do with a much smaller SSD if you only made the effort to separate your games according to which would benefit from an SSD and which wouldn't. You could also save a lot of space by utilizing symbolic link programs to move games onto and off of your SSD as you actively play them or put them aside. SteamMover is a good example for Steam games.

Many people don't want to be bothered with all that. I don't have as many games as most people, but I know that generally speaking, people are lazy. They don't want to have to sort their games and figure out which ones should be installed or reinstalled on which drive. They want them all in one place.

This, and I honestly don't see the point to one. I could put windows on it, but my computer is running 24/7 because it does other things. Therefore a boot drive would be useless and even then my HDD will boot windows up fast enough that even wasting the amount of space that windows takes on a SSD would be useless. Gaming on it wouldn't be too much more useful, a HDD will do just as well minus some loading screens and honestly loading screens aren't that bad.

If the price difference was small compared to a HDD I would consider it, but I'm not paying 10x for a similar sized HDD to my current one. I've almost filled my TB HDD already so I need tons of space.

You're making the assumption it's just boot times. That's wrong.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#34ShebeskiiPosted 8/17/2013 1:23:40 PM(edited)
KURRUPTOR posted...
They just aren't worth the price for what they give you in performance/load times imo. It's great technology and I'm glad many other people are buying them up now so they continue to make them and invest more money into making bigger ones, but right now to me it is not worth the price tag.

I rarely ever turn off my PC (maybe a 2-3 times a month when it's required to re-boot after some sort of driver update), and most games I play already have very fast load times, the only long/annoying load time for most games is right when you launch it... and that's not even actually load times it's just a bunch of advertisements so a SSD wouldn't help at all with that.

It's about general usage. You don't know how crappy your PC is until you use an SSD. If we sat down to game it up with our PCs side by side, you'd realize immediately that my PC just smokes yours for general usage. Wouldn't matter what I'm doing. I could be booting a Youtube video with a browser, it'd still smoke yours. Constantly talking about gaming and boot times doesn't do the SSD justice.

Evening sitting here editing this post to add this line would go faster.

A good analogy is comparing an S2 to an S4 (Samsung smartphones). Let's neglect the fact that the S4 can game much, much better. Pick some games both can play flawlessly.

Now have them side by side. Navigate the phone to go to google play, download the games, install them, and then boot them up.

Your computer is the S2. It chugs along. It sputters. It is waiting on an outdated needle to navigate a platter to put things down and pick them up. My computer is the S4. It's flying through menus flawlessly.

The S2 is still functional and, as I mentioned, will play those same games just fine, but don't act like there isn't a substantial difference.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#35SnipeStarPosted 8/17/2013 1:31:52 PM
combination of 2 & 3
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#36OmegaDL50Posted 8/17/2013 1:43:07 PM(edited)
Did you honestly just say an SSD will speed up a "streamed video" that isn't even stored on your SDD?

Seriously?

I believe the point of having an SSD was to mitigate loading issues that magnetic disc drives deal with constant read and writes. There is none of this with an SSD because the lack read arm or platters.

This has absolutely nothing to do with speeding up streaming speeds of a video that is stored on a server. That has entirely to do with your internet speed, NOTHING to do with your SSD.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#37ShebeskiiPosted 8/17/2013 1:49:00 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
Did you honestly just say an SSD will speed up a "streamed video" that isn't even stored on your SDD?

Seriously?

I believe the point of having an SSD was to mitigate loading issues that magnetic disc drives deal with constant read and writes. There is none of this with an SSD because the lack read arm or platters.

This has absolutely nothing to do with speeding up streaming speeds of a video that is stored on a server. That has entirely to do with your internet speed, NOTHING to do with your SSD.

Good thing I wasn't saying streamed video lol...

I'm talking about the speed in which things load up due to the use of small read and write sizes associated with general computer usage, browser usage included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izwZWOY4_60

Office productivity wouldn't be the same without surfing the Web. Our trace involves recording the storage activity of browsing several Wikipedia pages and CNN articles. We're excluding the act of launching the browser, since you only do so once and spend the rest of the time reading and clicking.

Transfers sizes are mostly scattered between 4 and 8 KB chunks, but nearly all of them are write operations, which occur at a queue depth of one and are mostly random. This reflects the fact that webpages consist of files of varying sizes. When this data is cached to the drive, it's scattered across it. However, SSDs excel at speeding up random accesses. And as a result, you donít have queue depths stacking up like might would see on a hard drive.

Overall Statistics
Firefox: Web Browsing
Elapsed Time
06:51
Read Operations
Write Operations
Data Read
3.74 MB
Data Written
91.98 MB
Disk Busy Time
0.42 s
Average Data Rate
227.28 MB/s

Oh look, browsing the web can totally outpace the best RAID HDD setups.

Yeah, you're making a lot of wrong assumptions.
---
#38OmegaDL50Posted 8/17/2013 2:03:00 PM
You talk about making assumptions and yet you are doing the very same thing. You assume to think I don't know any of what that video implies.

Should I address the point you implied that an SSD would increase the speed in which a browser with an youtube video would load faster with an SSD. I'm not disputing this the speed which applications would load faster, I'm disputing the fact that a streaming video such as from youtube would being entirely dependent on your bandwidth rates from your ISP and general networking speeds.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#39ggf162Posted 8/17/2013 2:08:02 PM
No because I don't even have my own computer (definitely subject to change, though).
---
My name is Ivan I like you
#40QT31416Posted 8/17/2013 2:08:17 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
I don't have the money at the moment, and if I'm going to get an SSD, I need at least a 512 GB.

Simply putting your OS on a SSD is worth it.
---
i5-3570k | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Vengeance 16gb | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Sabertooth Z77