This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Router is cutting my speed in half, because of firewall? what router will allow

#1xtacbPosted 8/16/2013 5:13:54 PM
I have a dlink dir615 router , and my interent speed is cut in half when i use router (wireless or ethernet)

as opposed to full speed when connecting from PC to modem

is it because of firewall on windows, then firewall on router?

Well...i dont want to disable either firewall so...

Is it a firewall prblem?

Is there a router that can get 50-70 Mbps even with router firewall + windows firewall?
---
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?
#2zerodefectPosted 8/16/2013 5:28:47 PM
It's because a DIR-615 is a cheap piece of junk. Get yourself a faster router and you will have no issues. Most cheap routers will only route WAN to LAN traffic less than 25 mbps. The 615 is compatible with DD-WRT firmware, try that and see if it helps. Definitely won't be a miracle though, you can only do so much with a weak processor and next to no RAM.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#3daemon_danPosted 8/16/2013 7:03:27 PM
zerodefect posted...
It's because a DIR-615 is a cheap piece of junk. Get yourself a faster router and you will have no issues. Most cheap routers will only route WAN to LAN traffic less than 25 mbps. The 615 is compatible with DD-WRT firmware, try that and see if it helps. Definitely won't be a miracle though, you can only do so much with a weak processor and next to no RAM.

You.
I like you.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#4xtacb(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:58:37 PM(edited)
oh ok, yea it was quite inexpensive and on the low end when i got it few years back

i think some review online said:

- From 15 feet, the DIR-615 offered a blazing speed of 90 Mbps. At 200 feet, the router ran at only 8 Mbps.

is that just a false review or something?

---
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?
#5zerodefectPosted 8/17/2013 6:04:12 AM
xtacb posted...
oh ok, yea it was quite inexpensive and on the low end when i got it few years back

i think some review online said:

- From 15 feet, the DIR-615 offered a blazing speed of 90 Mbps. At 200 feet, the router ran at only 8 Mbps.

is that just a false review or something?

It doesn't specify if that was just LAN->LAN or WAN->LAN routing. It could have been tested with a wireless client downloading a file from another local machine on the network. Also, I have no idea what the throughput on the 615 actually is, I know its certainly less that 100 mbps (I wasn't being specific in my last post, just noting that cheap routers usually have horrible throughput).
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU