This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that make use of hyperthreading?

#1libertangoPosted 8/16/2013 6:37:19 PM
I'm probably just gonna get an i5 instead of an i7 for my pc, but I was wondering if anything has changed recently in terms of games not taking advantage of hyperthreading?

I've heard that Civ 5, BF3 and Crysis 3 uses it...though that could just be misinformation. I don't play any of those games. I do like games with procedurally generated worlds... which you would think would make use of hyperthreading, but on the other hand, those sorts of games are typically made by more niche developers who might not have the time.

Is there any good purpose for an i7 yet outside of video editing and Excel?
---
Natural Selection 2, Tribes: Ascend
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/16/2013 6:49:50 PM
Any game that can make use of more than 4 threads will benefit from an i7 over an i5, Crysis 3 being one of them. Games aren't programmed for hyperthreading though, they're programmed for however many threads, and then those threads are run through the processor as fast as possible with hyperthreading allowing more threads to be handled at once.

Right now, there's no real reason to get an i7 for gaming. It's faster than an i5, especially in heavily threaded applications, but games with more than 4 are exceedingly rare making it a poor purchase for the price.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3libertango(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:00:39 PM
Thanks for the clarification.
---
Natural Selection 2, Tribes: Ascend
#4Fade2black001Posted 8/16/2013 7:03:16 PM
I think HT will be the future of gaming but only time will tell.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5Panzer_SquidPosted 8/16/2013 7:03:28 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Any game that can make use of more than 4 threads will benefit from an i7 over an i5, Crysis 3 being one of them. Games aren't programmed for hyperthreading though, they're programmed for however many threads, and then those threads are run through the processor as fast as possible with hyperthreading allowing more threads to be handled at once.

Right now, there's no real reason to get an i7 for gaming. It's faster than an i5, especially in heavily threaded applications, but games with more than 4 are exceedingly rare making it a poor purchase for the price.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1416153/psls-the-ps4-s-big-challenge-is-its-amd-chip-that-heavily-relies-on-multi-threading-says-planetside-2-dev/310#post_20617684

Refer to that for benchs. Hyperthreading support has to be implemented correctly, though I think Intel's compilers handle that automatically. What with the new consoles using AMD only and AMD claiming that they will help developers port games, I wonder what will happen if everyone starts using AMD's compilers.
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#6ThePCElitistPosted 8/16/2013 7:04:33 PM
Fade2black001 posted...

Said people in 2004
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/16/2013 7:10:55 PM
Correct hyperthreading support only requires that conflicting commands aren't scheduled on the same core in the same cycle, IIRC.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#8Fade2black001Posted 8/16/2013 7:10:55 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Said people in 2004

Really? No games used it until now though...
---
#9PathlessBulletPosted 8/16/2013 7:21:18 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Said people in 2004

The upcoming consoles don't have HT. The majority of games will continue to not benefit.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#10Fade2black001Posted 8/16/2013 7:57:28 PM
PathlessBullet posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Said people in 2004

The upcoming consoles don't have HT. The majority of games will continue to not benefit.

Fair enough
---