This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

troubleshooting an issue with new build

#1mophisusPosted 8/16/2013 9:17:22 PM(edited)
alright, after a screwup with fedex (apparently my house didnt exist yesterday). my parts finally arrived today.

i5 4670k, asus z87-a mobo,MSI GTX 670 Twin Frozr edition, PC Power and Cooling 610 Watt, 8 gb of gskill ripjaws (2x4 1866 sticks)

now onto the issue, my graphics drivers keep crashing, regardless of which ones i use (tried 314.22, and both of the newer beta ones,)

most of the time, the system will flash a black screen, then come back telling me the drivers stopped responding but have recovered, occasionally they will just crash and ill have to hard reset the system.

system seems stable doing anything else (and with 314.22 it only crashes once at startup, and then if i try to launch any games, with the other versions it crashed randomly while on the internet or desktop...) the kicker is that it was perfectly able to run heaven 4.0 benchmark, stay above 60fps at all times, and never caused an issue.

really makes me think its a graphics issue, but i cant imagine the the 4670k and the z87-a are drawing more power than my old q6600 and evga 780i sli did (i ran that combination with 2x 8800 gts 512mb cards, a single 5850, and this gtx 670 without any issues).

ive tried updating the bios, and did a quick 10 minute prime 95 test for both maximum heat and ram tested (no issues with either, but havent been able to test longer yet, plan to do that tonight)..

system is still at normal specs (planned to overclock, but wanted to make sure it was stable first).. also bios is the newest version..

anyone have any ideas on what to test next to narrow down the exact cause?
---
"The side effect of education should not be death by boredom and mediocrity"
#2thatfool12GsPosted 8/16/2013 9:18:13 PM
Insert the Windows disc and run the utility to test the RAM. Mine was doing that same **** and was blue screening at times.

It was the RAM. Upgraded to one from my motherboards QVL and I haven't had a BSOD or driver crash since.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#3mophisus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 9:53:07 PM
just finished the memory test, no issues found.
---
#4mophisus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:20:13 AM
small update

after alot of troubleshooting... i seemed to be able to stop the driver crashes (so far at least), by setting the pci-e bus in the bios to generation 2,

im not really sure how much of a need there is for gen 3 speeds on a gtx 670, so if anyone knows if im actually losing out on anything, or has other tips to try and figure this out, they are much appreciated.
---
#5mophisus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 5:50:49 PM
bump again
---