The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

calling all pc gamers!!!!

#1THEskeksisPosted 8/16/2013 10:31:40 PM
my fiance is trying to enter the PC gaming world. she plays rpg/mmorpg/life simulaters, i play fps/adventure/rpg. so she is looking for a desktop, we both have no idea where to look (we both have consoles) and need some help! she will be wanting to play FFXIV:realm unborn, Sims, WoW, LoL, Elder Scrolls Online, and Skyrim to name a few.

so what are 5 desktops you would recommend?
something that can/will be able to play current and future games. its not about budget, looking for quality over price.

thanks gamefaqers!
---
I used to be addicted to soap, but I'm clean now...
#2RedFive3Posted 8/16/2013 10:33:54 PM
Don't buy a pre-built PC, build your own. It's cheaper and fun!
---
I'm your huckleberry...
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#3daemon_danPosted 8/16/2013 10:37:01 PM
I second building your own
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#4NicodimusPosted 8/16/2013 10:40:48 PM
RedFive3 posted...
Don't buy a pre-built PC, build your own. It's cheaper and fun!

Unless you destroy your motherboard by accidentally bending the socket pins (just happened to me today, sucks.) It can be incredibly frustrating, but there are a few reasons to build your own:

-It's more open to expansion. You can pick a case that has enough room for everything you want. Pre-built cases are cramped and hot. Often times the wimpy power supply and small space limits what you can upgrade your video card to, which is critical for gaming.

-The BIOS on the motherboard you buy is not locked. On a pre-built PC, you can barely change anything but the time and date. Overclocking is out, and most other options too.

-It is cheaper, if you don't screw up and destroy things.

-The copy of Windows on a pre-built is locked to that motherboard. If you ever decide to upgrade the motherboard, you have to buy a new copy of Windows. That's not the case with retail Windows that you buy and install yourself.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#5THEskeksis(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 10:42:42 PM
we are not that kind of computer savvy. are there people who will custom build one for you? i know, how noob, but seriously we arent the building computer types.
---
#6daemon_danPosted 8/16/2013 10:45:55 PM
THEskeksis posted...
we are not that kind of computer savvy. are there people who will custom build one for you? i know, how noob, but seriously we arent the building computer types.

There are people who will build one for you, but it's really damn easy to build one. Newegg and youtube have TONS of videos on how to build one. There are also tons of articles on the web about it. Once you do a bit of studying, you learn it's basically "stick the thing in the thing that it has to go into and there's only one way it will fit." kinda deal
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#7THEskeksis(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 10:48:39 PM
hmm sounds tempting, but like the poster said earlier could be a bummer if we messed it up. could always find someone to help build

so NEXT QUESTION
what parts would you suggest? Build your dream/perfect PC!
---
#8IcedMetalPosted 8/16/2013 10:50:47 PM
I guess for people who have never touched the insides of a computer may find it intimidating. IMO the trickiest part is finding a good case that will comfortably fit all the components that you have chosen. I've seen and personally encountered a few situations where the case did not support certain features, and modifications were required.

As for recommendations, you'd have to list some of the games you guys are planning to play, your ideal budget.
---
(-_-)_/
#9lionheart5656Posted 8/16/2013 10:52:00 PM
No one here will suggest you buy a premade. All premades generally suck and cost more for the same stuff you could build yourself.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10N_T_S_CPosted 8/16/2013 10:52:18 PM
I'd be too scared to try and make one myself. F*** that.
---
ntsc