This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone help me optimize my game streaming, please? (OBS)

#1DuarianPosted 8/16/2013 11:20:13 PM(edited)
Hello all, I am attempting at streaming to just a select group of my friends, and cannot seem to get this stream quality down.

I realize you have to take into consideration others internet connections, but I have a laptop here that I am trying to test out on my TV and I am still getting some stutter.

I have tested my speed on both the VA servers that I can stream from, and they are both roughly equal at 70 download and 11.6 upload, ping is between 18-22 ms.

I currently have it set to downscale to 720p @ 60 fps, current game I am trying to stream is Terraria so there shouldn't be any issue with FPS.

My current specs are:
I7 3770K @ 4.3 ghz
GTX 670 FTW SLI (currently disabled since Terraria doesnt require it)
8GB DDR3 2133.
Windows 7 64 bit

I have my bitrates set to the following:
max:2000 buffer rate: 4000

I am also using Open Broadcast Software (64 bit)

I have also tried upping those values but it doesnt seem to help.

Thank you!
#2Bmoremike1989Posted 8/16/2013 11:42:40 PM
Make sure CBR is turned on, Twitch says to use that and keep max bitrate and buffer the same. For 720p people say to be at about 2500. When CBR is off obs will not use all the bitrate then use it in scenes with a lot going on causing the lag.
---
Psn:Sherb1989
Twitch.tv/Bmore89
#3Duarian(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 11:57:57 PM
Yeah, CBR is on. I tried it with 2000 and 3000 and that seemed to help a bit. Seemed pretty smooth but still stuttering a bit.
#4Knight2520Posted 8/17/2013 12:08:40 AM(edited)
Do you have Aero disabled? Also, from the OBS Help file:

Max Bitrate
Tells the video encoder (x264) to target this bitrate in kbps. If using variable bitrate, the actual bitrate will vary depending on the complexity of the scene. Combined with the audio bitrate, this will determine how much upload you want to be used. If you have high upload speed, keep in mind that your viewers will require an equivalent download speed to be able to view your stream, so you probably don't want to go over 3500kbps or so unless you're a partnered streamer and have access to the transcoders (lower resolution selections for viewers).

Recommended: 70%-80% of your upload speed, going over 3500kbps is generally not recommended unless partnered
Buffer Size
This ties in closely with the bitrate. x264 will encode everything into a fixed size buffer of this size. Raising it can increase motion quality, but at a cost; if there is a sudden scene change and high motion, it can fill up this buffer at a rate faster than the average max bitrate. For example if you have a bitrate of 3000 and a buffer of 6000, x264 could decide that if a scene is complex enough, to use 5000 of the 6000 buffer at once. Though your overall average bitrate will stay the same, this makes your actual network data quite spiky, which can lead to latency issues for both you and your viewers. Setting it too low on the other hand can make your transmission less spiky, but can reduce motion quality.

Recommended: Leave "custom buffer size" unchecked and use the same as bitrate

---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos
#5Duarian(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 12:10:34 AM
Hmm, installing the new version tonight seems to have reset that option for me. I did have it un-checked before.

I'll give these a shot, currently I set it at 2800. I know this is basically a trial and error game, but basically I should keep an eye on OBS and the bitrate, and if it starts to lag then I know I need to higher my bitrate, correct?
#6Bmoremike1989Posted 8/17/2013 12:15:02 AM
You don't want to up your bitrate too high because that is the rate people have to download the video and unless you are partnered there is no way for them to lower the quality.
---
Psn:Sherb1989
Twitch.tv/Bmore89
#7Duarian(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 12:22:42 AM(edited)
Yeah, i'm going to try 2800 at my house first, and then send the link along for them to try and lowe it as needed.

If they can't handle it, what would the next best thing to do be other than lower bitrate? FPS I would think would be the harder hit? Or perhaps the quality option (defaulted at 8)?

EDIT: Also just realized I am using the 36 sample filter, I can lower that as well.