This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best laptop for gaming? Budget is 0.9-1.2k

#1Solis_InvictusPosted 8/16/2013 11:23:21 PM
Hello there, tech gurus! I'm looking to upgrade my laptop. I understand perfectly well that nothing beats a tower pc for gaming, but mobility is important to me. I'm looking to get a laptop that will run games pretty well. My budget is something like $900-$1200.

Bulk, weight, and power usage are non-issues for me. I don't plan on taking my laptop to remote corners of the jungle; I imagine it will just about always be plugged in and I don't see myself carrying it around much.

Also, if I can get a cheaper computer that performs almost as well, I would definitely be willing to go cheaper. Since my laptop I use my laptop so much, though, I don't mind spending a fair amount on it if it results in definite performance improvements. That said, I'm also willing to spend more than $1200 if there would be a huge jump in performance after that.

Any advice, techxperts?
#2daemon_danPosted 8/16/2013 11:26:34 PM
gaming.
Laptop.
900-1200 dollars.
Pick two.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#3Solis_Invictus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 11:31:25 PM(edited)
Not quite the kind of advice I was looking for. I know using laptops for gaming is not ideal. I'm still sure some in that price range are going to be better than others.
#4daemon_danPosted 8/16/2013 11:32:57 PM
what games are you looking to play?
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#5RequiemPosted 8/16/2013 11:35:06 PM
Buy a cheap laptop for $300~400.
Build a desktop for $700~800.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#6Solis_Invictus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 11:37:47 PM
I don't have specific games in mind... I usually go for strategy type games, though. Can't remember the last FPS I cared much about.
#7Xeno_PredatorPosted 8/17/2013 12:01:05 AM
http://www.xoticpc.com/

Allows you to customise your laptop for maximum value. Final price is cheaper than branded ones.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Gaming is highly reliant on the graphics card. The higher a GPU is on that list, the better its performance. That link shows game FPS. For benchmark scores use this link:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
---
Genius has its limitations. Ignorance has none.
#8DC4everPosted 8/17/2013 12:10:29 AM(edited)
Solis_Invictus posted...
Not quite the kind of advice I was looking for. I know using laptops for gaming is not ideal. I'm still sure some in that price range are going to be better than others.

I bought a laptop over 3 years ago for around $1200 and it plays every game out right now at decent settings. Ignore the haters, if you want a laptop that can game for that price, you should be fine for a couple years at least.

I went for the fastest GPU available at the time, and skimped on other things like HDD size and RAM. Those things are much easier to upgrade down the line.
---
"Korea is not the most wired country in the world....
Europe is I believe." -Nurotic
#9ATARIJAWAPosted 8/17/2013 12:25:11 AM
DC4ever posted...
Solis_Invictus posted...

I bought a laptop over 3 years ago for around $1200 and it plays every game out right now at decent settings. Ignore the haters, if you want a laptop that can game for that price, you should be fine for a couple years at least.

I went for the fastest GPU available at the time, and skimped on other things like HDD size and RAM. Those things are much easier to upgrade down the line.

Yeah if you got the fastest GPU available at the time you would have paid close to $2500.00 so you have no idea what you are talking about.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#10Golden MavenPosted 8/17/2013 12:56:54 AM
Requiem posted...
Buy a cheap laptop for $300~400.
Build a desktop for $700~800.

Agreed.