The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Advice on breaking a PC/internet addiction? (SERIOUS thread)

#1BendoHendoPosted 8/17/2013 3:12:15 AM(edited)
I have an unhealthy relationship between with my PC and the internet.

I have had an internet addiction for close to 10 years now, when I got my first PC when I was about 12-13. Note, I did not say video game addiction. I am not addicted to computer games, and rarely play them.

I essentially spend 90% of my free time on the internet doing absolutely nothing. Doing what I call "time wasters." By that, I mean I spend hours everyday looking at stupid meme pictures, browsing reddit, reading forums, facebooking, watching stupid youtube videos, and talking to e-friends who I don't even know in real life, among other absolutely meaningless web browsing activities.

Today I spent about 10 hours on the computer, doing time-wasters, which is totally unhealthy and abnormal.

Now I go to school full time. But 90% of my time outside of school is spent on my pc, on the internet. I'm on full scholarship + grants, and so I do not work. But I couldn't work and do my very difficult major at the same time anyways.

This has never been detrimental to my grades - I am a 3.9 GPA student as a senior in a math major.

But there are so many things I would like to do instead of looking at cat pictures, such as read books and study literature and philosophy, take up a new skill, or socialize, but I can't because all of my free time is on the computer....addicted to the internet.

The solution seems to just unplug the internet and go cold-turkey. But in the post-modern world, this is impossible. I need the internet for school related emails, and to access the online material for some of my classes.

TL;DR
-I have been addicted to the internet for almost 10 years now.
-I spend, no hyperbole, 90% or more of my spare time on the internet.
-I spend that time doing nothing of value - browsing reddit, browsing multiple forums, watching Youtube videos, talking to e-friends I've never met, or reading humorous meme pictures
-That time could be better allocated for hobbies I actually want to pursue, such as reading and studying or dating.
-Cutting off the internet and going cold turkey won't seem to work because I need the internet for school related business and homework assignments.

What do?

--
#2Black_King945Posted 8/17/2013 3:22:47 AM
The only way to break bad habits is to start new, healthy ones.

That doesn't mean some symbolic break your computer spectacle, it's not something that is so quick and easy.

Start right now.

Read 30 minutes, then look at the computer for 10. Rinse repeat for any other pursuits.

What are your other passions in life besides "time-wasting"?
Go out and find people who also like those things.

When you say you can't do things because you are always on the computer you are absolving yourself of responsibility and justifying inaction. You are not doomed by circumstance, change your behaviour little by little until it sticks.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#3ShpooplePosted 8/17/2013 3:30:15 AM(edited)
I have an add-on for firefox called LeechBlock, essentially you add those websites that you deem timewasters to a list and it prevents you accessing them during times that you specify.

I found it useful building up to deadlines, where I'd only let myself access those sites for an hour a day.

You can also set it so you can't access the settings at all during a block, so you can't try and find a work-around to "just quickly look" on Facebook or something. I'd imagine there are ways around it such as opening another browser/no add-on version but I'm not addicted(?) enough to try.

There are also actual program alternatives that can lock down sites as well as other programs etc., and I think there are some paid ones that are so effective that you need to actually contact customer support to gain access during a lockdown.
#4ShpooplePosted 8/17/2013 3:29:17 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5chris121691Posted 8/17/2013 3:31:43 AM
Go out with some friends. You're in college, there must be something else to do.
#6TimePharaohPosted 8/17/2013 3:36:28 AM
Studying is a hobby?

You have to "pursue" reading?

Sounds like you're a lost cause, might as well ragequit life.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#7maybecallsPosted 8/17/2013 3:41:47 AM
Is your internet service quite expensive? It could be that you're (subconsciouly?) trying to get as much use as possible from it in order to justify the cost. Or maybe not.
#8juscallmeehxPosted 8/17/2013 9:09:53 AM
Delete facebook or any other social media.

Stop caring about what people are doing.

Find an outdoor activity you like. Lucky for me I found road biking. Read a book outside in a cafe. Go for walks, if you have a dog, you can easily go dog walking for an hour or so.
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.4GHz | 2x8GB RAM | Evga GTX 560 ti | 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD
#9QuestofChosenPosted 8/17/2013 9:38:07 AM
Talk to someone you trust about your problem. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed. You are going to need help/support if you want to break your addiction.
#10Tyranius2Posted 8/17/2013 9:52:35 AM
I don't mean any offense but that's pretty pathetic TC.

I spend 100% of my free time on my PC. The problem with your case is you spend 100% of your time on PC doing absolutely nothing. If you were playing games instead of browsing the filth you visit then there would be no problem.

My advice: play some games
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[