This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Advice on breaking a PC/internet addiction? (SERIOUS thread)

#11YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/17/2013 9:06:39 AM
Sell your desktop, buy an electric typewriter. Type all your papers on that. For any online classes, do the work in the school's library.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#12TowerBooks3192Posted 8/17/2013 9:09:49 AM
I have this problem that I spend more time browsing the net than playing but now I have to make things count since classes have started and I could rarely play especially having brutal units for the semester.

My advice would be take a break from time to time like watch telly or read a book. It would really help if you do other stuff and balance your use of your PC and your other responsibilities.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#13GarquillPosted 8/17/2013 9:12:32 AM
you don't need to destroy your bad habits, you just need to develop other habits, and then the old habits will be replaced over time

I used to have the same problem, I wouldn't even spend much time with games. But I tried to spend more time with games as a first step (not saying it would work for you). It's strange that I had to make a habit for playing games, but it was a relatively easy one to develop... if I can start to influence my habits then it will become increasingly easier

I'm still working on new habits myself. if you want to talk personally then feel free to pm me
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#14Interceptor1412Posted 8/17/2013 9:56:12 AM
I think it's time for you to consider seeing a professional counsellor like a psychologist. I don't live in the US, but here your local GP would be a good starting point.

It's a good sign that you've admitted that you have a problem, and have the motivation to want to get better, it's important and a good starting step.

I wish you luck and get better~
#15analogmanPosted 8/17/2013 10:06:31 AM
Associate the internet with a skill you want to learn. Eventually, you will spend time on other things.

Example:
Get a guitar and learn from youtube or other sites.

Hope it works. Good luck brother.
---
check my quote :DD
#16SletlitePosted 8/17/2013 10:41:38 AM
a good first step would be deleting your facebook, yes there is an option for that. I don't mean deactivating it, but permanently deleting it.

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account
#17ZukkusPosted 8/17/2013 10:52:15 AM
If you have an addictive personality to the point to where you get addicted to the internet, don't ever take up drinking, TC.

Go cold turkey. Have someone put a password on your computer and make them promise they won't tell you no matter what.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#18LordSeiferPosted 8/17/2013 10:54:02 AM
remove LAN card
---
^ this
#19CammyApplePosted 8/17/2013 11:02:13 AM
Sletlite posted...
a good first step would be deleting your facebook, yes there is an option for that. I don't mean deactivating it, but permanently deleting it.

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

The issue with that is that he would have to abstain from signing in for 14 days after the request otherwise the deletion is cancelled.

Sounds like he doesn't have the willpower for that.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#20somebody336Posted 8/17/2013 11:05:10 AM
Bodyslam your rig.