This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Advice on breaking a PC/internet addiction? (SERIOUS thread)

#21BogePosted 8/17/2013 12:07:59 PM
Absolutely, you need to go get a new hobby. Even though your addicted to sitting on the internet and that's what you'll want to do instead of your new hobby, you have to force yourself into your new hobby at least for a while and see if it takes you in. If not after a few times, try something different until one sticks. Obviously pick healthy hobbies because you don't want to get addicted to something just as bad as browsing the internet. Good luck.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#22GarhinderPosted 8/17/2013 12:09:13 PM
Just use it for useful ****. Instead of always wasting your time, use half of it to learn things. Instead of dumb youtube videos, use youtube for tutorials. Programming, development, graphic design, music theory. Read e-books, I don't know. It's a tool and it's up to you how you use it. You don't need to stop using it.
#23CilymPosted 8/17/2013 12:11:52 PM
Who cares. You only live once. Spend your time doing the things you enjoy.
---
i called myself uberhipster before, try harder. - Ningishzida
You a straight up buster TC (Super_Thug44).- KidInTheHall
#24JKatarnPosted 8/17/2013 12:13:15 PM
Either you are seriously addicted to the PC/Internet as you say, or you just don't have any interests outside of your coursework. If you really feel a physical/psychological pull towards using the computer to the detriment of other aspects of your life, you should consult the health services building on your campus and see if you can schedule some sessions with a counselor. One question to ask yourself would be, what am I avoiding/trying to ignore by spending so much time on the computer? When someone is addicted to something the first step is usually to figure out what caused the addiction in the first place, as addictions are typically symptomatic of a deeper issue. Barring seeing a counselor, I would do as others in this thread suggest and try to gradually use the computer less - perhaps take up drawing/painting or start an exercise regimen/take up a sport.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#25JKatarnPosted 8/17/2013 12:14:48 PM
Cilym posted...

Yes, but TC admitted he doesn't WANT to waste all his time browsing random websites and asked us for advice, therefore we are giving it.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#26CammyApplePosted 8/17/2013 12:14:48 PM
Cilym posted...

You live only once.

You do many things once, not just live.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#27Dukaduka1k82Posted 8/17/2013 2:33:14 PM
Have someone other than yourself set up parental controls to limit your time on the computer. This may be a reasonable idea starting small then working your way to stricter time limits on the computer.
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm
#28Snuckie7Posted 8/17/2013 2:36:50 PM
Go socialize and hang out with people.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#29kelemvorPosted 8/17/2013 6:25:49 PM
TC I completely empathize with you.

My PC addiction caused me to get a pretty rough GPA and I graduated with a cool 2.69.... At least I got my degree.

Here are some hobbies/life changes I started that really helped take away the addiction. I still sit on my laptop and do "useless" things but at least I have some variation to my life now.

1. Bought a motorcycle and rode in the mountains.
2. Took up juggling, I'm not bad, not good... good stress reliever.
3. Joined a band for a while, played shows in a few college towns.
4. Learned how score more dates and flirt better. I eventually learned how to leverage my positives to keep girlfriends hanging around a while.

May I ask if you have any kind of ADD? I think I have a mild case of it. The reason I ask is you mentioned you rarely focus enough to play a video game or something, but you'll randomly hop around the internet.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#30analogmanPosted 8/17/2013 6:30:24 PM
i would lag up your internet if i was one of your friends.
---
check my quote :DD