This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a rig.

#11gsf4lyfePosted 8/17/2013 8:17:51 AM
Reaper_Minion posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...
How much is that PSU? You can easily get away with an 80+ Bronze 600W~ one, which would help you save more money towards that 128GB SSD.

Also, I'd get a WD Black or Seagate Barracuda over WD Blue.

They mentioned possible SLI, which I don't think the 600w would handle.

True, but I personally don't think that SLI is worth it. A single GTX 770 4GB will last him long enough.

Also, I hate to go off-topic, but I can't help but notice that your rig has an FX-6300. My friend is buying a new rig and he doesn't have the budget to buy a decent Intel processor + mobo, so he's leaning towards the FX-6300. How's it doing for you? Is it bottlenecking your graphics card?

Not that I have noticed. I haven't played any MMO's or RTS or anything though that relies on the CPU too heavily though.

Witcher 2 with detail settings maxed and AA at 2x at 60FPS. Skyrim with about 25 mods installed (including lighting and texture mods) with 2x AA 60 FPS no problems except in Solitude. Far Cry 3 I get 50-60FPS with everything but AA maxed.

My OC is actually still a work in progress. I built the computer about a month ago, but only got the CPU cooler a couple weeks ago and it has been really easy going getting it from 3.5ghz up to its current 4.3ghz. I don't see myself having any trouble pushing it to 4.5ghz.

For the $110 I spent, I don't think I could be happier. I did have some issues initially that I misattributed to the CPU, but turned out to be RAM related. Not relevant but I did make a post on here a while back whining about my CPU and it turned out that I was totally off base.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#12gsf4lyfePosted 8/17/2013 8:18:41 AM
DJ0224 posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
I think you're overspending on the mobo, and would be better suited getting a nicer SSD with higher capacity. The Samsung 840 EVO line just came out and are sick. You also probably don't need 16GB of RAM unless you're doing things other than gaming that requires it.

Any suggestion on a different mobo that will still support sli configurations? And i will definitely look into lowering the ram and getting a larger SSD.

Also is the SSD best used for caching? or Installing the OS on?

Get a large enough SSD (I would say at least 120GB) and install the OS and any games you will be playing regularly on it.
---
#13PhilOnDezPosted 8/17/2013 8:19:58 AM
If you install the OS on there it makes your system incredibly responsive. I used my old PC with a 7200 RPM drive for a while and it's just night and day.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#14Reaper_MinionPosted 8/17/2013 8:35:55 AM(edited)
For the SSD, an interesting thing you can do to save storage but still get awesome loading times on your games is to move them back and forth between the SSD and HDD depending on whether you intend to play them or not. Obviously, this can get inconvenient and tedious, but it can be useful so keep it in mind. If you do some Googling, you can find programs that do this kind of thing for you, for both Steam and non-Steam games.

gsf4lyfe posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...
How much is that PSU? You can easily get away with an 80+ Bronze 600W~ one, which would help you save more money towards that 128GB SSD.

True, but I personally don't think that SLI is worth it. A single GTX 770 4GB will last him long enough.

Also, I hate to go off-topic, but I can't help but notice that your rig has an FX-6300. My friend is buying a new rig and he doesn't have the budget to buy a decent Intel processor + mobo, so he's leaning towards the FX-6300. How's it doing for you? Is it bottlenecking your graphics card?

Not that I have noticed. I haven't played any MMO's or RTS or anything though that relies on the CPU too heavily though.

Witcher 2 with detail settings maxed and AA at 2x at 60FPS. Skyrim with about 25 mods installed (including lighting and texture mods) with 2x AA 60 FPS no problems except in Solitude. Far Cry 3 I get 50-60FPS with everything but AA maxed.

My OC is actually still a work in progress. I built the computer about a month ago, but only got the CPU cooler a couple weeks ago and it has been really easy going getting it from 3.5ghz up to its current 4.3ghz. I don't see myself having any trouble pushing it to 4.5ghz.

For the $110 I spent, I don't think I could be happier. I did have some issues initially that I misattributed to the CPU, but turned out to be RAM related. Not relevant but I did make a post on here a while back whining about my CPU and it turned out that I was totally off base.

Thanks, that should be fine for his needs. He does play SC2 which could use a better CPU, but that's about it.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#15PhilOnDezPosted 8/17/2013 8:57:42 AM
Somebody linked a bench here the other day showing that an 8350 couldn't even hit 60 fps at all in SC2. He'd probably be better off with no gpu and a Haswell i5 if that's something he intends to play frequently.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#16Reaper_MinionPosted 8/17/2013 9:04:20 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Somebody linked a bench here the other day showing that an 8350 couldn't even hit 60 fps at all in SC2. He'd probably be better off with no gpu and a Haswell i5 if that's something he intends to play frequently.

Well, he won't be turning the settings too high and AA will be completely off. Also, the game is very playable at 40~ FPS.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#17gastamanPosted 8/17/2013 10:04:48 AM
gsf4lyfe posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...

A good 600 watt PSU would work. A good 650 watt, I guess if you want to play it safe.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#18gsf4lyfePosted 8/17/2013 10:12:13 AM
gastaman posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...

A good 600 watt PSU would work. A good 650 watt, I guess if you want to play it safe.

Even with an OC'd cpu? The Haswell's use more power than the Ivy Bridge as well.
---
#19gastamanPosted 8/17/2013 10:39:34 AM
gsf4lyfe posted...
gastaman posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...

Even with an OC'd cpu? The Haswell's use more power than the Ivy Bridge as well.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_770_sli_review,4.html

770 SLi with OC'd 3960X - 505w from the wall.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
#20gastamanPosted 8/17/2013 10:44:44 AM(edited)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1t2yY

Edit: All from Newegg/Amazon, all free shipping. Price does not include tax, if applicable. Build includes CPU cooler and ODD, which isn't included in TC's initial list. Price after rebates is $1375.26 ($1405.26 before rebates).

I'm sure it can be improved. I picked these parts sitting in my car on a tablet, so it was a quick look.
---