This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any other benefits to having an SSD other then quicker boot times?

#1AshWilliams78Posted 8/17/2013 9:49:14 AM
Aside from having my Windows 8 load in 10 seconds compared to 40-50 seconds on my HDD I see no other real benefit to having an SSD.

I've played Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim (with a crap load of graphics mods), StarCraft 2, and Borderlands 2 and I've seen no real performance difference aside from just a bit faster load times.

So far I'm a bit disappointed and I'm contemplating returning it.

It's a Sasmung 840 PRO 256 GB.
---
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this?
This is my BOOMSTICK!
#2snkboiPosted 8/17/2013 9:51:58 AM
no noise, less heat, less power usage, small form factor
---
i think it's nice
#3VIP86Posted 8/17/2013 9:54:26 AM
Basically people buy a SSD for faster load times for OS and games. Don't know why you would want to return one of the best SSDs out on the market right now.
---
DESKTOP--i5-3570K| ASUS P8Z77-V| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 400R| INTEL 520 180GB| NOCTUA NH-D14| CORSAIR AX750
#4Lemur_HPosted 8/17/2013 9:55:48 AM(edited)
SSDs don't boost gaming performance. They make random system operations start and end much quicker than mechanical hard drives. The operating system runs smoother.

You bought it for the wrong reasons.
#5xLexLuth0rxPosted 8/17/2013 9:57:35 AM
For me, it just made 95% of everything I do on my PC a good bit faster. Everything from boot time to moving files, to installations, etc. I did swap it out after a couple weeks just to get an idea of how much a difference it made and that helped solidify my decision to buy it. Never regretted it.
---
"Trust me Clark, our friendship is gonna be the stuff of legend."
FC: 0860-3416-4781 // Lex in Smallvil // ACNL
#6Lemur_HPosted 8/17/2013 9:58:53 AM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
For me, it just made 95% of everything I do on my PC a good bit faster. Everything from boot time to moving files, to installations, etc. I did swap it out after a couple weeks just to get an idea of how much a difference it made and that helped solidify my decision to buy it. Never regretted it.

Transferring files from SSD to SSD is wonderful. :)
#7AshWilliams78(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:25:36 AM
VIP86 posted...
Basically people buy a SSD for faster load times for OS and games. Don't know why you would want to return one of the best SSDs out on the market right now.

That's the thing though the difference between Load Times is negligible for me. All the games I posted Load the same or by 5-10 seconds faster then from my HDD. For me that's not really worth the money I spend on it. I guess I was expecting it to be like night and day but for me it's not.
---
This is my BOOMSTICK!
#8DoramiPosted 8/17/2013 11:31:50 AM(edited)
You see more benefit if it's on a laptop, because as snkboi mentioned, less power draw, less noise, less heat generated, smaller form factor (possibly). They're also more shock and temperature tolerant.

On a desktop is general speedup of load times, with OS booting being the most significant.

If what you're observing isn't worth it to you, then don't use it.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#9AshWilliams78(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:33:42 AM
Dorami posted...
You see more benefit if it's on a laptop, because as snkboi mentioned, less power draw, less noise, less heat generated, smaller form factor (possibly). They're also more shock and temperature tolerant.

On a desktop is general speedup of load times, with OS booting being the most significant.

If what you're observing isn't worth it to you, then don't use it.

Hmm... I guess you're right. I'll be returning it then. Thanks.
---
This is my BOOMSTICK!
#10BogePosted 8/17/2013 12:04:28 PM
For me it's all about reducing stutter. In games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Diablo 3, stutter can really break my experience. An SSD really helps with that, not completely getting rid of it, but helps.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.