This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was World of Warcraft like back in the Wrath of the Lich King days?

#1SolnotPosted 8/17/2013 12:15:27 PM
Everybody keeps saying that WoW was at its best during Wrath of the Lich King because that's when subscriber numbers were the highest. So what happened during those days? And do people say Wrath of the Lich King was the best expansion compared to the other expansions?
#2Orestes417Posted 8/17/2013 12:16:51 PM
Same as it is now, minus a few years of accumulated burnout
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#3YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/17/2013 12:17:46 PM
Same as now, people always posted on the wrong board.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#4UozzorPosted 8/17/2013 12:18:46 PM
More subscribers meant more populated zones and a more active in game community, 2 very important things in an MMO.
Haven't played much Cataclysm, but from my impression the starting zones are a lot easier now, and people don't even chat during dungeon runs.
---
That's not a walrus
#5BogePosted 8/17/2013 12:18:48 PM
It wasn't quite as easy and cheesy, but mostly the same. It was before Wrath of the Lich King that it was great.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#6MagnemightPosted 8/17/2013 12:24:34 PM
Apparently everything was less streamlined, what with the present's fast leveling and Dungeon Finder and whatnot. The social aspect of WoW seems to have existed at lower levels with professions and trading and grouping together, rather than being limited to max-level raiding and all.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#7gsf4lyfePosted 8/17/2013 12:26:58 PM
Uozzor posted...
More subscribers meant more populated zones and a more active in game community, 2 very important things in an MMO.
Haven't played much Cataclysm, but from my impression the starting zones are a lot easier now, and people don't even chat during dungeon runs.

I played vanilla and cata, then stopped and played again after Cataclysm came out. Cataclysm was an amazing improvement honestly.

Sure, 1-60 is way faster now, but the level cap is way higher so IMO it should be. They completely revamped all the 1-60 quests and there's way less go here and kill 60 zevhra's and more interesting, multi-stage quests. People don't talk in dungeons so much anymore, but that's only because everyone has them memorized.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#8Stone_MagnetPosted 8/17/2013 12:26:58 PM
It was terrible because DK's ruined the game.
---
steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stonemagnet/
#9MagnemightPosted 8/17/2013 12:33:23 PM
gsf4lyfe posted...
People don't talk in dungeons so much anymore, but that's only because everyone has them memorized.

The problem being that WoW is at its core a social game. Even with all the schmancy new quest lines, an asocial population turns the game into an excessively-grindy RPG without a plot.

...And despite how most of the players were l33tspeak-spouting idiots, the lack of people seems to be detrimental to the immersive aspect of WoW. It's bizarre, really.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#10my_name_is_EdPosted 8/17/2013 12:44:56 PM(edited)
well, besides the fact that the WotLK dungeons/raids in general were pretty easy, there was:

-Actual choice in builds
-Weapon expertise
-You actually had to level for your main tree's Flagship ability(ies)
-No scripted events (scripted events are so ****ing annoying)
-Classes were unique and not made the same for the sake of balance
-People could actually be found in the world, as apposed to now where everyone is LFD'ing
-Deathwing was still a badass (before being pussified in Cata)
-No panda's which was awesome

Couple others that slip my mind atm.

Basically it was pretty good, despite the ease in difficulty.

also this:

Magnemight posted...
everything was less streamlined

---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png