This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was World of Warcraft like back in the Wrath of the Lich King days?

#21my_name_is_EdPosted 8/17/2013 1:31:50 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Anyone saying there was more choice in the builds before than now is either confused, bad, or one of the very few classes that had a viable hybrid spec for any length of time. I mean yeah, you could choose to suck I suppose, but the reality was even back in vanilla there were very clear correct builds with no more than a point or two discretionary.

It's the freedom of choice that's missed. And believe it or not, there were various builds that could be used.

Now you HAVE to keep putting talents in your main tree before you're even allowed to look at the others.

Just because you didn't care to experiment doesn't mean there was only one right way.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#22Orestes417Posted 8/17/2013 1:35:21 PM
If you wanted to participate in high end endgame content, there was only one right way. And no actually now your main tree sets the base abilities and you get 5 tiers of discretionary talents most of which are balanced well enough you could make a legit argument for playstyle or encounter
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#23Hi CPosted 8/17/2013 1:49:00 PM
Solnot posted...
Everybody keeps saying that WoW was at its best during Wrath of the Lich King because that's when subscriber numbers were the highest. So what happened during those days? And do people say Wrath of the Lich King was the best expansion compared to the other expansions?

TBC was the best WoW expansion. Naxx 40 through the end of TBC was WoWs best years. It still wasn't half as good as Everquest through Velious.

Lich King was when they essentially just decided to get rid of all time and skill walls and hand people purple loot out for just logging in and spending any amount of time in game.

Cataclysm and Panda were worse and now they are dying by their own sword. Live by the casual die by the casual.
---
You'll be my John G.
#24my_name_is_EdPosted 8/17/2013 1:50:06 PM
Orestes417 posted...
If you wanted to participate in high end endgame content, there was only one right way. And no actually now your main tree sets the base abilities and you get 5 tiers of discretionary talents most of which are balanced well enough you could make a legit argument for playstyle or encounter

Raiding isn't the only thing you can do in WoW
---
#25MagnemightPosted 8/17/2013 2:12:08 PM
As someone who was always one expansion behind until Cata, I can't help but realize something interesting:

Going through the BC/WotLK content felt like going through a museum. Everything was dead and still, with few other people and a wholly sterile environment. It was interesting. It kind've gave me that "gee, I wonder what this was like when it was active" sorta feeling that good museum gives.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#26Orestes417Posted 8/17/2013 2:25:06 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Orestes417 posted...

It's the same with PvP. You can either do what's mathematically best or you can elect to suck.
---
#27my_name_is_EdPosted 8/17/2013 2:42:49 PM
Orestes417 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Orestes417 posted...

It's the same with PvP. You can either do what's mathematically best or you can elect to suck.

except it's not the same. There are variations to builds you can use for various situations.

my Ele shaman had a different builds for Battlegrounds, Arena, and Open-World. I even had different builds for different maps in battlegrounds in some cases.

Again, just because you refused to experiment doesn't mean there was only one right build.
---
#28my_name_is_EdPosted 8/17/2013 2:44:15 PM
*were, rather
---
#29sparayno1Posted 8/17/2013 2:45:05 PM
As a hardcore raider back in WOTLK days, I loved the Hard Modes that started with Ulduar.
---
OC i7 920 4.0 ghz, OC windforce gtx 670, crucial m4 256 gb ssd, corsair tx 850 w psu, evga x58 classified 3 way sli mobo, 6 gb triple channel dominator ram
#30Orestes417Posted 8/17/2013 2:53:39 PM
And that you consider picking the one right build for a given situation "experimenting" didn't make it any less the "one right build"
---