This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was World of Warcraft like back in the Wrath of the Lich King days?

#41Hi CPosted 8/17/2013 5:50:39 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Orestes417 posted...
If you wanted to participate in high end endgame content there was only one right way

"Your $15 says you can play how you want. My raids $585 says you won't be doing it with us"
---
You'll be my John G.
#42Crimsin_GibletPosted 8/17/2013 6:06:17 PM
I completely agree with Orestes417 here. It was more just the illusion of choice back when skill trees were a thing. Sure you could put talents where ever you wanted and experiment around, but good luck ever getting into any raids like that.
#43MagnemightPosted 8/17/2013 6:24:40 PM
I can't see how choice in talent trees was an illusion back when non-raid content (which didn't require optimal builds) was actually considered part of the game
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#44KURRUPTORPosted 8/17/2013 6:30:49 PM
Vanilla was in all honesty the best. It was all one solid down-hill slide from there. They did add many great things along the way like battle-grounds, arena, cross-server bgs and dungeons. But it all kinda also took away from the personality that servers had. And it just kinda slowly faded into boredom.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#45Orestes417Posted 8/17/2013 6:32:55 PM
Even in high end 5 mans like Strat and Scholo, or MgT back in BC, no one really wanted to deal with "that guy" who herped the mighty derp when it came time to choose between skill points that were optimal and something quirky like a moonkin tank build. I don't care if you were the best damn panzerkin in the world, I'm taking smitty the tree who specs/gears like a raider should.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#46VordraxPosted 8/17/2013 6:39:48 PM
Nostalgia makes people really silly.
---
Miroku2235: Every time someone says the Mesmer reminds them of Naruto I die a little inside.
Groadergreen: I'm legally deceased because of things like this.
#47su27ChaosPosted 8/17/2013 7:14:57 PM
From what I'm thinking how come Vanila WoW was like that. They have the start game at lvl 10. As you get of the starting zone you could do things like explore, find quests and meet other people along the way and start dungeons or raids as you go. lol

But some how people got lazy and just use the trade chat and find people. This would later make the game like interactive menu (most likely they will stay at home zone and start the dungeons till the end). It was good idea earlier but people didn't follow it and of course Blizzard is too afraid to lose the money and drop the old idea. I too would do that instead of finding.

Anyway I still like to make changes to current game
PVP aspect IMO they should just make it faster to earn the gear. Because the game starts when you can match your opponents gear. Skill > gear.
---
American products is good go buy them.
#48happyscrub1Posted 8/17/2013 8:05:43 PM
su27Chaos posted...
From what I'm thinking how come Vanila WoW was like that. They have the start game at lvl 10. As you get of the starting zone you could do things like explore, find quests and meet other people along the way and start dungeons or raids as you go. lol

But some how people got lazy and just use the trade chat and find people. This would later make the game like interactive menu (most likely they will stay at home zone and start the dungeons till the end). It was good idea earlier but people didn't follow it and of course Blizzard is too afraid to lose the money and drop the old idea. I too would do that instead of finding..

Those are improvements. It was fun at 1st, but most people don't wanna go thru all that. WoW enjoyed the MMORPG prime to get away with a lot of the "busy work" and grinding.

It's one of the reasons that it will be hard for another game to do good as WoW, because people who don't wanna repeat all that busy work again.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#49jakisthePosted 8/17/2013 8:24:46 PM
Personally, I thought it was the hayday of the game. Plenty of difficult content, and they really started introducing variety in their quests at that point (but not overrelying on stuff like vehicles or the like). Plus, the leveling up flow was amazing, the 10 levels all felt truly earned, the world PvP actually interesting, phasing felt truly "new", and that it was pretty much all in a really nicely designed, compact continent helped it considerably.

The questing in particular felt great. There were multiple lines per area, and some one offs on the side. I don't know quite why Cata felt different, but maybe because the zones didn't seem to flow into each other quite as well...and that they were kinda more linear once you did get there.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#50asmodai48Posted 8/17/2013 8:32:03 PM
Wrath was when the game started going down