This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tips on installing a Hyper 212?

#1BogePosted 8/17/2013 12:28:54 PM
The first time I installed it, it was fine. My temps were low. I had another 212 sitting aside and needed a fan for another computer. When I saw it, the bottom was much flatter than the one I had on mine so I switched.

I used Arctic Silver 5 (kind of old...4-5 years probably), and the pea method.

The problem with installing the heatsink is those brackets. It's hard to keep the heatsink in one place while trying to screw down the bracket so the heatsink will kind of slide around a little while I'm getting things tightened. Do you think that caused issues? I don't know how to keep it still. Even when it's tightened, the heatsink kind of moves, as did the older one which cooled just fine.

My temps during my first build setup were about 25c idle and 62c under load.

I ran Aida64 test yesterday after applying the new fan and I'm about 30c idle and one of the cores struck 75c!

What should I do? Get some new paste?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/17/2013 1:06:37 PM
When was your first build? Ambient temps might be higher now since we're in the middle of august. Another problem would be if you used the pea method you probably used way too much paste. The less you use the better, down to a grain of rice or so. Some people's idea of a pea is about 10x as much as you actually need.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 1:42:22 PM(edited)
More depth so you understand...

I first built my system in September of 2012. I used the grain of rice method right in the middle. That's when I was getting the good temps. That was also with the 212 plus that had the grooves in the bottom of the heatsink.

I don't remember why, but I redid it probably in May. Same method, same heatsink, same paste. My temps weren't as good at that time reaching upwards of 67-68c under a stress test.

So yesterday I did the swap of the fans since another computer at my house was overheating. That's when I noticed the flatness on the new Hyper 212 plus vs the grooves on the one I was currently using on my personal computer, so I switched. I used the pea method this time. I don't think I used too much. It was more like 2x the amount of a grain of rice I'd say. I'm hitting upwards of 75c on Aida64 tests and about 64c just running games.

Really the only thing I can think that is wrong...maybe the amount since it's the first time I've done the pea method instead of the line method or grain of rice. The heatsink is different, but I'm not sure why a flatter surface wouldn't be better. Lastly, the movement of the heatsink while trying to tighten things up. I just watched a few videos of people installing that heatsink and theirs moves around as well.

Oh, the CPU is 3570K overclocked at 4.4ghz, no extra voltage. It's been that way since I bought it, even with the cooler temps last year. The room my computer is in is never past the 70s F, maybe more mid 60s normally. I actually have the case fans turned low, but they've always been that way.

You think it's not so much the heatsink or method, but the season/summer time? I've just never had a computer change temps so much due to summer.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.