This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have any of you ever worked for or used Geek Squad?

#1roxas321Posted 8/17/2013 1:47:50 PM
Long story short, I am starting college on the 26th; and I'm really looking for a nice job. I landed an interview at Best Buy for a Geek Squad Consultation Agent. My question is, do I NEED to be a computer genius to get the job?

A little background: I've built my own computer, I troubleshoot it myself with a little help from Google, and I can usually tell why computer isn't working properly.
---
Don't look at my button!
#2gwwakPosted 8/17/2013 1:48:37 PM
You don't need to be a genius. Most tech support people are idiots anyways.
---
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
#3Mogu_MoguPosted 8/17/2013 1:48:51 PM
I've had friends that used Geek Squad. :(
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#4mrCubePosted 8/17/2013 1:51:31 PM
I worked there for about 6 months a few years ago. Honestly you don't really need to know anything to work there. They will train you a lot and you will learn a lot as you go. But keep in mind that as a consultation agent you'll be customer-facing and not actually do much work on computers other than taking and processing them.

You'll do fine with the experience you already have.
---
---
#5Golden_GonadsPosted 8/17/2013 1:54:11 PM
If its anything like a number of tech supports I've heard of, you'll be performing to script, making things sound complicated and mainly trying to convince people to unnecessarily buy new hardware.
#6my_name_is_EdPosted 8/17/2013 1:57:12 PM
just don't spread nudes you find on peoples computers onto the internet, and you're good
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#7roxas321(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 1:59:52 PM
But without spreading nudes.... what will my hobby be?

Also, that's great! The only retail job I've had so far has been at Bed Bath and Hell. It involved a lot of customer service, so I'm hoping it will be similar.
---
Don't look at my button!
#8Dragonspawn1319Posted 8/17/2013 2:01:44 PM
My brother used to work as a geek squad. From what he used to say the majority of stuff they deal with are surprisingly simple issues or warranties.
#9wildog2006Posted 8/17/2013 3:29:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJw6oGSft0

100% relevant, I used to be a CA for 2 years, worst job I've ever had. If you don't get promoted within 6 months, you'll never get one. Best advice, be anti-social, that way you'll get put in the back faster, then you only have to deal with idiots on the phone.

Again, WORST. JOB. EVER. I would rather work in fast food than go back. If you absolutely have to, don't work in geek squad. Work in a different department where you get bonuses, I.E. you work on commission. Even though they say they don't work on commission, they do, it's just not called that.
---
i7-3770k ~ EVGA GTX670 4GB ~ Intel DZ77GAL-70k ~ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ~ 180GB SSD + 1TB HDD ~ Corsair 850W PSU ~ Silverstone Redline
PSN/360/Steam ~ irysh9