This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My download reset on Origin

#1smerf1Posted 8/17/2013 1:59:26 PM
So I was downloading dead pace 3 off of Origin, it was at about 55% with around 5gig downloaded. I hadn't cheack the download in an hour, but when I did the download had reset to 12% with 1 gig downloaded!

How in the hell does something like this happen?
#2Eclypse9810Posted 8/17/2013 2:05:13 PM
Yeah, I was downloading Payday 2 on Steam yesterday, got to around 3 GB last night. Paused it and resumed it this morning, it was reset to 0 mb completed.

Darn digital distribution :(.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#3arleasPosted 8/17/2013 2:21:25 PM(edited)
How in the hell does something like this happen?

It's because of the way Origin does downloads. For some reason it downloads in chunks and if it determines something is wrong with that chunk it throws it away and starts over... Basically, Origin's download process is the dumbest thing ever... with Steam you might also encounter an error, but you would just verify the files and download the necessary files later...

I found this that might help:
some angry guy on EA forums talking about Download errors
1. Wait until your download reaches a milestone. Depending on how much you want to push it. I am doing it every 10% but you can do it whenever).
2. Program Files (x86)
3. Electronic Arts
4. Hold Control and click on your Battlefield 3 folder, then drag it (while still holding shift) to anywhere you want, I recommend the desktop. Alternativly you can copy and paste it as well. Just make a backup.
5. Rename it to Battlefield 3.10 or whatever your download percent was.
6. Repeat at those milestones.
7. If your download, sorry... I mean When your download resets. Log out.
8. Copy and paste your latest download backup back into your Electronic Arts folder.
9. Rename it back to "Battlefield 3"
10. Log back in and continue.

Yeah, I was downloading Payday 2 on Steam yesterday, got to around 3 GB last night. Paused it and resumed it this morning, it was reset to 0 mb completed.

I've never had steam do me that way. The worst thing I can say I've seen steam do while downloading was get to about 80% complete and then slow to a crawl...
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#4KillingMachinePosted 8/17/2013 2:44:57 PM
I've been trying to download Sims 3 and having the same problem. This is the third day in a row I've tried and still haven't got it to complete before giving up. Got as far as 85% and then it reverted back to 30%. I've wasted way too many gigs of bandwidth and hours of time on this.

I was pretty neutral about Origin prior to this, but my opinion has really gone downhill from this experience. I'll be steering clear of it from now on.
#5ein311Posted 8/17/2013 2:51:11 PM
arleas posted...
I've never had steam do me that way.

Eh, when I snagged up a couple games for my dad during the summer sale he told me he had some troubles downloading and having some downloads start over, etc.

S*** happens.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#6ZukkusPosted 8/17/2013 2:56:47 PM
I've had Steam also do the same thing.

There's also Steam's wonderful trick of one day up and deciding one of your games you already have installed needs to be fully redownloaded.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#7Golden_GonadsPosted 8/17/2013 3:23:58 PM
My download kept freezing... Had to exit Origin and restart it a few times. Occasionally it would report a lower percentage was downloaded, but that soon sorted itself out.
#8arleasPosted 8/17/2013 5:02:30 PM
There's also Steam's wonderful trick of one day up and deciding one of your games you already have installed needs to be fully redownloaded.

This is one I've heard a lot about.. mostly TF2. I don't know if they fixed that or not...it's not so much as deciding you have to download the whole thing again as much as every update registers as a full download instead of the small 200K update everyone else got.

Had to exit Origin and restart it a few times. Occasionally it would report a lower percentage was downloaded, but that soon sorted itself out.

So basically all you did was exit Origin and start it up again? That's almost like the instructions I copied earlier, except without the tedious copying and pasting of files to other locations and using it as a backup. I guess as long as you're standing by to exit origin and restart that would only be a minor annoyance...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png