This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody know of some good games that let you mix & match class skills?

#1Solis_InvictusPosted 8/17/2013 1:44:12 PM
I'm thinking of games like FFV or Penny Arcade Episode 3, where you can sort of mix and match class abilities with an entire party of characters. I just finished Episode 3, and Episode 4 seems pretty terrible.
#2samurai1900Posted 8/17/2013 1:53:01 PM
Dungeons and Dragons games?
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#3AsucaHayashiPosted 8/17/2013 1:57:01 PM
FF7
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#4PaperDiddyKongPosted 8/17/2013 1:59:54 PM
NWN1 and NWN2.
#5NingishzidaPosted 8/17/2013 2:06:58 PM
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
Temple of Elemental Evil
Baldur's Gate series
KotoR series
Dragon Age: Origins
Neverwinter Nights + expansions
Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansions
Icewind Dale series
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
Drakensang
#6Solis_Invictus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:04:31 PM
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant mixing and matching class abilities so you have multiple classes on each character. For example, in PA Ep. 3, each of the four characters had a base class, and you could assign them two more classes simultaneously. Four triple-class characters, if you will.

Maybe you want to make a healer, so you take the character with the highest magic and give him the Gentleman class to get him access to the best healing spells, plus the Crabomancer class increase his defense and make sure your healer doesn't die. And you've got a character with naturally high speed who has attacks that interrupt the enemies' actions, so you give her the Tube Samurai class so she can go into speed stance and get more interrupts off. Or maybe you decide to forget about her natural interrupt abilities and focus on stuns instead, so you also give her the Dinosorcerer class so she can turn into a T-rex and stun bad guys often with her high speed.

The strategic options were delicious, and I'm looking for something similar. Most games I can think of don't give you the option to combine multiple classes on multiple characters, or at least penalize you substantially if you do.
#7IBKNAWTUPosted 8/18/2013 5:10:01 PM
The Golden Sun games do that through the flow of battle. You assign Djinn to each character, which change what class that char currently is. Through the battle though, you can use the Djinn to attack, which puts them on cooldown while altering your class (due to having different Djinn active now)

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but they're really fun games.

Also FFXIII.
---
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
#8Chaos_MissilePosted 8/18/2013 5:18:41 PM
I can think of a few games that do this, but the problem is they're not officially or legally on the PC.....

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning lets you choose skills from any of the 3 trees: Might, Magic and Finesse with the requirements only being total amount of skill points into the tree of your choice. While in a sense, you are right in that they gimp you a bit)eg you dont get access to the top of the skill tree) if you dont invest fully into a single-class, the game however, gives you alt bonuses if you double or even triple-class in terms of stat boost.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#9NingishzidaPosted 8/18/2013 5:30:23 PM
Solis_Invictus posted...
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant mixing and matching class abilities so you have multiple classes on each character. For example, in PA Ep. 3, each of the four characters had a base class, and you could assign them two more classes simultaneously. Four triple-class characters, if you will.

uh, that's basic D&D. in fact, D&D invented multi and dual-classing. and in D&D3.x you can build one character out of several classes, called "a build". again, see my list.
#10NingishzidaPosted 8/18/2013 5:43:09 PM
I'll make it easy for you, these are the games where you can build a character out of several classes, you take x amount of levels in classes to gain feats, special abilities, attribute bonuses, skills, proficiencies, spells and so on.

D&D3.x:

Temple of Elemental Evil
Neverwinter Nights + expansions
Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansions
Icewind Dale 2

Then there's multi-classing (only up to triple classes), AD&D2:

Baldur's Gate series
Icewind Dale 1