This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can people tell if a motherboard / CPU combo is compatible?

#1KillerzOverHerePosted 8/17/2013 3:10:24 PM
Just curious, some people on this board can do so instantly, without going to a compatibiity check website like PCPP

How?
---
Gaming Laptops are so underrated...smh
xoticpc.com/images/xotic_pc_nbr_crew_sager_1.png
#2AcquirePosted 8/17/2013 3:11:31 PM
Socket type.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#3Reaper_MinionPosted 8/17/2013 3:11:51 PM
They recognize the socket/chipset. That's what decides the compatibility.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#4KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 3:12:52 PM
Is that common? If I named a random mobo and cpu, would any old person (on the PCH board) be able to tell me if they are compatible?
---
Gaming Laptops are so underrated...smh
xoticpc.com/images/xotic_pc_nbr_crew_sager_1.png
#5GreenMage7Posted 8/17/2013 3:15:47 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...
Is that common? If I named a random mobo and cpu, would any old person (on the PCH board) be able to tell me if they are compatible?

Probably, it's really not that hard. And the people who don't know the socket types (like Haswell and LGA1150) would probably just go to PC Part Picker and see if they are compatible.
#6MasterDonGeroPosted 8/17/2013 3:39:45 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...

If the socket type isn't the same, then they're definitely not compatible. If they're the same, then you check the motherboard's website for the CPU support list to see if the CPU is compatible and with which bios version.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom