This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I5 3570k vs 8350?

#1TaintedEonPosted 8/17/2013 4:57:58 PM
I constantly see completely opposite reviews, some people stating the I5 is better in gaming, some saying it's not.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this? I generally was looking to primarily play FFXIV on it.

I also have a GTX 670*
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/PlacidDREAMS/
#2BowsaaPosted 8/17/2013 4:58:27 PM
If you're looking to play games, especially MMOs, a 3570k/4670k is the way to go.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#3TaintedEon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 5:00:12 PM
What if I don't plan to overclock?
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/PlacidDREAMS/
#4MasterDonGeroPosted 8/17/2013 5:01:28 PM
TaintedEon posted...
What if I don't plan to overclock?

3570K.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#5Orestes417Posted 8/17/2013 5:02:51 PM
I'd only go with an AMD processor if I was doing a lower end build that used the integrated graphics. Otherwise go with a 4670
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#6PhilOnDezPosted 8/17/2013 5:04:25 PM
If you're planning on mmos the i-series is going to be the way to go. Same with strategy games, emulators, and minecraft, and to a lesser extent open world games. For 90% of console ports it doesn't matter since they don't require much CPU power so the 8350 is fine, but if it's a pure gaming rig then I'd pick the i5 every time.

I've got a feeling FFXIV won't be as demanding as the typical mmo though. It has load screens galore which is going to drastically limit the number of players in one area so I wouldn't be too surprised if the 8350 kept up with that particular mmo just fine.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7GreenMage7Posted 8/17/2013 5:09:39 PM(edited)
In FF14 it doesn't matter.

They are relatively equal other than in a select niche games. If you want to be absolutely 100% covered for video games, then get the i5. If you want to fine experience in games while having more productivity in other tasks and save some money (processor + motherboard savings always beat out the power concerns) then get the 8350.

If it is only for games and doing light things like browsing the internet and listening to music, then you should probably get an i5.

If you aren't overclocking no matter what, then you shouldn't be looking at either of the two specific processors you linked at all.
#8GreenMage7Posted 8/17/2013 5:05:58 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
I've got a feeling FFXIV won't be as demanding as the typical mmo though. It has load screens galore which is going to drastically limit the number of players in one area so I wouldn't be too surprised if the 8350 kept up with that particular mmo just fine.

Yeah, I've been playing the beta and the framerate doesn't stutter at all, even in fates. Honestly the game is much more GPU dependent so that's probably more of a testament to my 7950 than the processor.
#9BogePosted 8/17/2013 5:13:27 PM
Some argue the 8 cores from the 8350 will make it the choice CPU in the long run since the new consoles have 8 cores.

I feel that by the time the number of cores actually came into play beyond 4, you'll be looking to buy a new CPU anyway.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#10GreenMage7Posted 8/17/2013 5:15:54 PM
Boge posted...
Some argue the 8 cores from the 8350 will make it the choice CPU in the long run since the new consoles have 8 cores.

I feel that by the time the number of cores actually came into play beyond 4, you'll be looking to buy a new CPU anyway.

Yeah, it's not a very good argument. The CPU will benefit from it, but it's more like a small perk if you were already getting it than a reason to buy (which it isn't). By the time actual PC games use that many cores as a standard everyone will want to upgrade anyway.