This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Using Ubuntu (8.1) to scan Windows for virus's

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Using Ubuntu (8.1) to scan Windows for virus's

User Info: dlf

dlf
3 years ago#1
One of the PC's we have here - an old Dell from around 2002 (I think) is running XP but seems to have slowdown - we think because of a latent virus (or so). I wanted to run a live CD copy of Ubuntu 8.1 that I have lying around to see if it picks up any virus's, how would I?
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P5kr - Minus a few parts.

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 years ago#2
Insert the disc and run the virus finder program
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
3 years ago#3
clamtk is what you're looking for, I'm pretty sure it's right in the software manager. That being said, I'd recommend putting Linux Mint on a USB drive instead (using USB Universal Installer), although Ubuntu would probably work well enough for that purpose as well.

User Info: mrCube

mrCube
3 years ago#4
If it's just for scanning viruses it doesn't really matter what OS you're using. Kaspersky has a rescue disk that works really well that I've been using lately.
---

User Info: dlf

dlf
3 years ago#5
I'd be interested to see if in Linux (/Ubuntu) a antivirus/anti malware picks up things the Windows antivirus can not.
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P5kr - Minus a few parts.

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
3 years ago#6
Maybe, maybe not. I don't use it, but I've heard that Microsoft's really stepped up their anti-malware game in recent years. I've always just used avast antivirus - its boot time scan is especially useful, assuming the computer is at least in good enough shape to have it installed in the first place.

User Info: mrCube

mrCube
3 years ago#7
MSE was great but it has supposedly slipped after it reached the top.

Anyway from my experience the Linux-based ones don't pick up viruses the Windows ones don't, it's that they work when the Windows ones won't. If you get a nasty case of the FBI Virus, just getting into the OS can be a huge pain in the ass. It's much easier to run a live rescue CD and run a scan on the offline Windows partition.
---

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 years ago#8
For future reference it's 8.10, the 0 is important. Which means that anything on that disc will be circa october 2008. I doubt the repositories are even up to allow you to download clamav with it.

Grab a copy of the sytemrescuecd which is linux based and current, and scan with it instead.
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#9
With a PC that old it'll be easier to just reformat and reinstall everything. That'll help clear out the winrot as well.
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Using Ubuntu (8.1) to scan Windows for virus's

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived