This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buying a laptop for school with gaming in mind. need advice!

#11daemon_danPosted 8/18/2013 1:16:21 AM
PathlessBullet posted...
Do you REALLY need a laptop for school? REALLY!?

I don't know about you but I type a s***load faster than I write. way better for taking notes. However, wanting a gaming laptop for school is a tad silly
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#12chidori411(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 2:03:40 AM
thanks for the advice. Gaming laptop for school is as follows.. Laptop for taking notes etc. but also able to play games when i have off time, am chilling with buddies in our lounge etc. Has anyone seen the Digital Storm customs or the Ibuypower customs? Im picking between those and MSi i think. Alienware is too expensive for too little.
---
GT: Pwnergod411
Psn: Pwnergod
#13datopgamerPosted 8/18/2013 2:18:46 AM
I dont get what people have against laptops people like to game on. He clearly stated he has a desktop for gaming and wants to game away from home. He doesnt want to carry his desktop around obviously. I mean if the man can afford it then why not offer him some real advice instead of trolling in topics saying "lolgaminglaptop".

As for the topic, it really depends on your budget but I recommend against ibuypower. Go to www.xoticpc.com and check out the sagers, they are pretty good. Just make sure you get a dedicated graphics card.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#14SlaynPosted 8/18/2013 2:31:36 AM
datopgamer posted...
I dont get what people have against laptops people like to game on. He clearly stated he has a desktop for gaming and wants to game away from home. He doesnt want to carry his desktop around obviously. I mean if the man can afford it then why not offer him some real advice instead of trolling in topics saying "lolgaminglaptop".

As for the topic, it really depends on your budget but I recommend against ibuypower. Go to www.xoticpc.com and check out the sagers, they are pretty good. Just make sure you get a dedicated graphics card.

People are jealous they can't afford a gaming laptop to go with their $800 "gaming" PC that can barely play Skyrim at medium.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#15_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 8/18/2013 9:16:50 AM
chidori411 posted...
thanks for the advice. Gaming laptop for school is as follows.. Laptop for taking notes etc. but also able to play games when i have off time, am chilling with buddies in our lounge etc. Has anyone seen the Digital Storm customs or the Ibuypower customs? Im picking between those and MSi i think. Alienware is too expensive for too little.

No ibuypower. Slap yourself for even considering it.

A budget would be really helpful.
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95_51_162.html

Those are fantastic choices if (again) you get one with one of the GPUs I mentioned before. Keep in mind with these you also need to get windows because they don't come with it.

MSI laptops are good, I just have never been into them myself. They do have a good reputation though.

As to Alienware being too expensive, past the $1500 mark Alienware laptops tend to only be a couple hundred more than Sager/Clevos which can be thought of as fair because the warranty is unmatched anywhere else. Not sure what your budget is though.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
#16fallenswordsPosted 8/18/2013 9:18:36 AM
if you have a desktop why bother with a gaming laptop. in reality you wont do anything other than notes or internet with your laptop.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#17_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 8/18/2013 9:28:53 AM
fallenswords posted...
if you have a desktop why bother with a gaming laptop. in reality you wont do anything other than notes or internet with your laptop.

"Well, my desktop is for my house (replacing a 7 year old desktop), and i need a laptop for when i go to school.. because i will be away from home, and need a computer? Also, im not looking to break benchmarks or anything, but just play my favorite games that will be coming out or the ones that are already out."

From that I gather he isn't taking the desktop to school.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
#18gsf4lyfePosted 8/18/2013 10:14:24 AM
Slayn posted...
datopgamer posted...

People are jealous they can't afford a gaming laptop to go with their $800 "gaming" PC that can barely play Skyrim at medium.

My PC was <$800 and I play Skyrim at max detail settings with a ton of texture and lighting mods installed. I do have AA turned down to 2x, however.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe