This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting tired with the stale combat in MMOs.

#1zxelmanPosted 8/17/2013 8:04:44 PM(edited)
I've recently tried Final Fantasy XIV's open beta. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good for me. I won't go into detail, but I look for the combat in MMOs and it's not this.

One "free-roaming" (quotes because it's barely one) MMO that came close was Neverwinter. It was interesting at first, but it was overall underwhelming. Felt like a chore to do most quests. I appreciate it more than most MMOs because of its dodge system and avoiding auto-attacks, but it's not what I'm looking for. RaiderZ was meh.

Vindictus is fun (not a true MMO, mission-based), but there's all kinds of annoying disconnection/latency issues I'm getting this past year, and it's very repetitive.

Planetside 2 I'm not even sure where to begin. It's a great concept that works right in front of my eyes, but I don't like it enough to keep playing it.

I believe the only much fun I've had in MMOs (or mainly just F2Ps) would be between Warframe and PSO2 (JP). Warframe still has a lot of work ahead of itself so whatever content that comes out, I just eat up and I'm done, and PSO2 has a relatively easy-to-reach level cap (while the level cap doesn't stop me from playing it, because I still am, there's not too much to do besides participate in events/EQs, do TACOs, buy a lot of cosmetics, and hang out).

So what I do have fun in, I'm out of content to enjoy while they get updates. So call me spoiled.

TL;DR: Is there anything anyone can suggest? I already signed up for closed beta on ESO and EQN. I'm mainly looking for anything that's not auto-attack, not RTS, not MOBA, and not hotbar-y (can have a hotbar for potions, etc)
#2matu90rkPosted 8/17/2013 8:04:54 PM
You're at that stage of life when you realize that all MMOs are crap and that you should go play something else.
#3josh_bPosted 8/17/2013 8:06:06 PM
The game your looking for my friend is Tera Rising. It's free to play but I recommend getting a sub. The combat is much like Neverwinter but much more expanded. It's simply the best Combat ive had in a mmo.

The Setting in game is also very different from the standard fantasy mmo's out there. There are some performance issue's with the game with dropping fps and stuttering here and there but over all a great game that never got the attention that it deserved.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#4zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 8:06:31 PM
matu90rk posted...
You're at that stage of life when you realize that all MMOs are crap and that you should go play something else.

Like?

I'll take anything with action and RPG in it. Single-player is fine (already have Skyrim for starters), multiplayer is preferred.
#5Jason_25Posted 8/17/2013 8:09:39 PM
I feel just like you do about FF14 and Planetside 2. I have been playing KSP a lot these days.
#6PhilOnDezPosted 8/17/2013 8:13:22 PM
I'll second Tera. Definitely a lot different than any other mmo I've played.

If you don't opt out of Happy Cloud you can play after 2 gigs or so of downloading so there's not much wait and you can uninstall happy cloud once it's finished downloading.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7VoxwikPosted 8/17/2013 8:36:47 PM(edited)
zxelman posted...
matu90rk posted...

Like?

I'll take anything with action and RPG in it. Single-player is fine (already have Skyrim for starters), multiplayer is preferred.

Guild Wars 2 has a free trial coming up August 23-25:
https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

It is buy to play (no subscription, and the cash shop is purely convenience or cosmetic stuff that doesn't affect combat), but the trial lets you try without buying.

There are three segregated aspects to the game:
PvE, WvW, and PvP

PvE is completely PvE. There is no such thing as kill stealing and there's no punishment for working with others. You can do a lot of stuff alone, but some stuff requires more people. What was new for me with GW2 PvE is that informal "groups" merge and disband just by cooperation between players. The fact that any player can resurrect also adds to the feeling of community. In many MMORPGs you simply can't run up and help someone in trouble, or if you do you risk "stealing" their kill. That doesn't happen in GW2 because everyone gets their own reward separately. There are no tanks or dedicated healers, which means in large numbers the strategy of combat can lessen or disappear entirely, but I think overall the system works well. Notably is that the game has decent platforming segments that the development team calls "jumping puzzles," scattered hidden throughout the world. There are "heart" quests to do but overall that's just to get people used to traveling around. The "questing" occurs in strings of dynamic events that you can just show up to and participate with. They do have cycles "x happens if you win, y happens if you fail, z happens after you've failed and leads to x if you win, etc." but I think it works well and is far more interesting than the old "get quest from NPC, do quest, go back to NPC" formula.

The game in addition to the launch content has four development teams working for four months each on monthly update events, meaning every month "living story" content comes out. They are putting more effort into this now and said they may not even release any expansions if it works out well long term.

WvW pits three servers against each other. There is NO PvP in the PvE section, so traveling to WvW takes you to another separate game world with four maps: the borderlands of the three servers (in which the home server has a terrain advantage) and a central "Eternal Battlegrounds" in which each team fights for control of a central castle. There are also PvE tasks to do in those maps, and it was specifically designed so people that prefer PvE have a few things they can do.

I've never done structured PvP but it's more balanced so that everyone has the same advantage (in contrast to WvW in which while everyone is leveled to 80 they retain the traits, skills, and equipment they earned in PvE).

Not everyone loves it, but for me at least it's an interesting cross between a single player action RPG (there is a personal story mission line that you can progress through as you level) and MMORPG.
#8zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 8:32:33 PM
I'll try out Tera tomorrow and the GW2 trial when that comes. I just hope Tera won't feel like RaiderZ.

One question I do have about Tera is how necessary is it to do the quests?
#9CatToyPosted 8/17/2013 8:35:57 PM(edited)
The combat is different but aside from that Tera is a very formulaic themepark MMO.
---
Duba Dubababa Ba Da! Dub?
3DS: 0301 9786 1157
#10VoxwikPosted 8/17/2013 8:37:18 PM
I edited a lot into my GW2 post, whoops. I guess I should have just made a second post. ><