This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting tired with the stale combat in MMOs.

#11zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 7:40:39 PM
Voxwik posted...
I edited a lot into my GW2 post, whoops. I guess I should have just made a second post. ><

I read it. It's a lot like what I've been reading and seeing. But as always, I feel with MMOs I have to see for myself. The combat still looks auto-ish, but it looks better than most. Next weekend when the trial comes I'll be able to try.
#12Cool_Dude667Posted 8/17/2013 7:43:32 PM
zxelman posted...
Voxwik posted...
I edited a lot into my GW2 post, whoops. I guess I should have just made a second post. ><

I read it. It's a lot like what I've been reading and seeing. But as always, I feel with MMOs I have to see for myself. The combat still looks auto-ish, but it looks better than most. Next weekend when the trial comes I'll be able to try.

I recommend trying a Mesmer, very fun and different style caster than most MMO's
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#13GhennkinsPosted 8/17/2013 7:44:20 PM
Vindictus has been the only MMO with good combat. Some come close like Tera. Other action based mmos claim good combat but it's really just button mashing. Continent of the Ninth for example while pretty fun, doesn't have that precise and tight style of combat Vindictus has. Dragon's Prophet has action style combat but it's the worst I've seen yet. Bosses visually glitching and going invisible and you taking massive unavoidable cheap damage. Other bosses just chain knockdown and there isn't anything to counter or avoid it for certain classes. Very cheap and unpolished feeling game.

And I'm with you... Vindictus starts to suck really fast when the best part of that game is the boss fights. Die, and run through 9 boring dungeon levels to try again.

There's a lot of interesting new mmos on the horizon however. Maybe just wait a year or 2 and take a break from the mmo life in the meantime. Most aren't worth the time anyway.
#14TimePharaohPosted 8/17/2013 7:45:45 PM
GW2 is garbo worst game I've ever bought
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#15VoxwikPosted 8/17/2013 7:49:26 PM
GW2 has auto attack but if you're not in a big zerg of people that's not an efficient way to play. It's also much more action oriented than any other MMORPG I played (I'm sure there are others but I didn't play them). Aside from fighting weak enemies, if you don't keep moving you will die in that game. I think that's one of the reason chatter is way less common in combat areas than in other MMORPGs I've played. Unless you type extremely quickly (and even then sometimes) if you try to type something while fighting you will die. I bought a gaming mouse because I felt my keyboard was limiting my ability to effectively keep moving while using my abilities.
#16zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 7:50:54 PM
Ghennkins posted...
And I'm with you... Vindictus starts to suck really fast when the best part of that game is the boss fights. Die, and run through 9 boring dungeon levels to try again.

Vindictus could've done much better. What I quoted from you there is the painful truth about it. Defeating all the small dumb AI is mind-numbing and boring. If the game focused on boss gameplay (Monster Hunter comes into mind) then it would be amazing as long as there are enough boss variety with different moves.

I'm guessing from that paragraph I'm looking for a Monster Hunter-esque game, but wow have I tried getting into Frontier and the recent Online. Just doesn't work. So I'm mainly just looking for games similar to Vindictus it seems, but not completely like it.
#17happyscrub1Posted 8/17/2013 7:54:28 PM
1. GW2 sucks

2. MMO is such a big ass broad term. How the @#$% are you comparing FF to Planetside? Ones a FPS and the other a RPG

The fact people are even entertaining this thread makes me lose faith in gamefaq community.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#18Mogu_MoguPosted 8/17/2013 7:56:19 PM
If Vindictus wasn't pay to win and didn't basically require NX after lvl 60 and they fixed a few things up with the dungeons being repetitive and the combat system a bit, it could very well have been of the greatest games ever made.
:(
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#19zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 8:01:36 PM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...
1. GW2 sucks

2. MMO is such a big ass broad term. How the @#$% are you comparing FF to Planetside? Ones a FPS and the other a RPG

The fact people are even entertaining this thread makes me lose faith in gamefaq community.

First of all, chill.

Second, I didn't compare FF to Planetside. I did say MMO in the title, and both of them fit. While I did say I mainly like the RPGs, I'm open-minded.

I feel unnecessary aggression. Nothing wrong with asking for a new game.