This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people really play with an inverted mouse in games?

#1MackorovPosted 8/18/2013 2:53:49 AM
Practically every single PC game has this inverted mouse option that will flip the mouse movement upside down. Unless quite a significant number of gamers really do play with that sort of an inverted mose, anyone wondered why it's the one menu option that's always included in games?
#2Madmicky933Posted 8/18/2013 2:56:32 AM
I know I don't. I can't stand it.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#3nIMr0D888Posted 8/18/2013 3:16:58 AM
When I was a kid I played the s*** out of fury 3 which had inverted flight controls, and by the time first person shooters where you could aim with the mouse came out I could only do it with an inverted axis. Then when I was about 15 and playing jedi academy it suddenly flipped and I can no longer use inverted aim.

I still have quite a few friends that use inverted controls.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#4member1982Posted 8/18/2013 3:22:41 AM
Probably only in flight sims. But I never invert play with kb&m, sometimes i do it with controllers.

the last game (only game) kinda screwed my head abit is Star Trek, in 1 or 2 sections it is inverted because they are played in outer space.
---
Asus P5Q\Intel Q9450 +Noctua D14|8GB DDR2, HD4850OC 1GB, 120GB OCZ, 1.5TB, 2TB, Win8x64P, Lian Li PC-A07A, Antec 550W, Dell 24", MacBook Pro 15" 2006
#5claytonbuckleyPosted 8/18/2013 3:50:39 AM
It's a very old option from when flight sims were a thing. option is still around for those few old gamers from flight sim games that still prefer it.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#6Mogu_MoguPosted 8/18/2013 4:30:06 AM
For some games, yes.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#7AsellusPosted 8/18/2013 5:31:01 AM
Why wouldn't you?

Just think of it as being like how you move your head around. Move your neck forward and your view goes down.
#8mikebrand83Posted 8/18/2013 5:32:36 AM
I believe that it's at least partly a result of simple, long ingrained force of habit.

For many older gamers, back before gaming with mouse was common and back when games were mostly limited to 2D planes, their primary exposure to games where players actually interacted in a 3D environment were flight games. And with flight games, whether you were using keyboard or joystick, "forward" pushed your "heading" downwards, while "back" pulled your "heading" upwards.

By the time modern FPS started to gain momentum, so many players have gotten used to inverted controls that many used it just as naturally as those who went "normal". Many have since made the transition to "normal", but obviously there are still enough out there that many developers keeps inverted in as an option.
#9arleasPosted 8/18/2013 6:21:37 AM
Reportedly Robin Walker (of TF2 fame) plays games with inverted Y axis controls. Everyone at Valve jokes that it's because he's Australian.

The only time that kind of control scheme seemed natural to me was when it involved flight sims. Everything else seems kinda silly to use the inverted Y axis, though I could get used to it if I had to.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#10SienrurouniPosted 8/18/2013 6:28:07 AM
Asellus posted...
Why wouldn't you?

Just think of it as being like how you move your head around. Move your neck forward and your view goes down.

This is why I always play this way on consoles, and hate when I can't invert both horizontal and vertical, but I never do on the mouse. That would just feel weird.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane