This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This may seem incredibly dumb, but I don't know a whole lot about PC's.

#1KillerzOverHerePosted 8/18/2013 5:25:03 AM(edited)
I read only a motherboard with on-board graphics support can have a VGA / HDMI connection. My question is, if you get a motherboard without on-board graphics support (Basically you don't get a CPU with on-board graphics) Does that mean it will not have VGA / HDMI port? And if so, how do you connect a monitor to it? Thanks.

Edit, here is the link where I read it: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327409-33-motherboard-port
Rollli59's post, first line. A "motherboard and gpu expert"
---
Gaming Laptops are so underrated...smh
xoticpc.com/images/xotic_pc_nbr_crew_sager_1.png
#2AsellusPosted 8/18/2013 5:29:04 AM(edited)
I read only a motherboard with on-board graphics support can have a VGA / HDMI connection.

That's not true, just add a video card in it and you can have vga / hdmi / dvi / displayport whatever. If you're making a gaming system you're going to want a video card regardless since they vastly outperform what integrated chips can do.

My question is, if you get a motherboard without on-board graphics support (Basically you don't get a CPU with on-board graphics) Does that mean it will not have VGA / HDMI port? And if so, how do you connect a monitor to it? Thanks.

As per the above, you get a video card for it. Like this -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130935

Slotty gold part on the bottom fits into your motherboard, you can see the various video output options on the front.
#3KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:32:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:35:30 AM
I read that basically if I buy that GTX 760 and put it in a motherboard which doesn't support on board graphics (and if i get a cpu without on board graphics) I can't use the HDMI / VGA connection on the graphics card. (The motherboard would cover it up).
---
#5HydroCannabinolPosted 8/18/2013 5:43:20 AM
KillerzOverHere posted...
I read that basically if I buy that GTX 760 and put it in a motherboard which doesn't support on board graphics (and if i get a cpu without on board graphics) I can't use the HDMI / VGA connection on the graphics card. (The motherboard would cover it up).

That is wrong. Completely.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#6KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:46:55 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...

That is wrong. Completely.

So, in short, a mobo without on-board graphics support will have a HDMI / VIGA support?
---
#7TivorPosted 8/18/2013 6:01:58 AM
The graphic card itself will have all the necessary ports (HDMI, DVI, etc). Whether the motherboard itself has those ports become irrelevant when you're using a graphic card.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Miyazaki Hayao, Walt Disney, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#8bkkorpsPosted 8/18/2013 7:23:55 AM

even if you arent that good with computers, just think of this logically.

If your statement were true, that if your mobo doesnt have a graphics output you cannot install a video card to provide one, then how would you use that computer at all? you would have no way to connect a monitor to it, and if that were the case, why would anyone sell a motherboard without a graphics output?
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.