This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know if this is the right board, but my laptop won't start up! URGENT

#1keybladesrusPosted 8/18/2013 7:04:58 AM
As the title says, my laptop won't start up! I don't know the exact model, but it's a Compaq Presario something 62.

I put it in sleep mode for a short while, but when I went to use it again, it was off. I tried to turn it back on, but it won't go past the screen where it shows the Compaq logo and says "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu". I tried pressing esc, but it won't do anything. All I can do is turn it back off, but it has the same problem when I turn it back on.

Does anyone know what is going on and, most importantly, how to fix it?
---
"My favorite color of poop is seven." - Seanbaby, cracked.com
The Official Nox of the Kingdom Hearts 3 Board
#2SlaynPosted 8/18/2013 7:07:33 AM
Time for a new laptop.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#3keybladesrus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 7:10:37 AM
Slayn posted...
Time for a new laptop.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I have too many imporant files on this one! Is there ANYTHING I can do?
---
#4fallenswordsPosted 8/18/2013 7:12:13 AM
keybladesrus posted...
Slayn posted...
Time for a new laptop.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I have too many imporant files on this one! Is there ANYTHING I can do?

buy a new laptop and transfer the files.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#5ThePCElitistPosted 8/18/2013 7:12:45 AM
Worst case scenario use an Ubuntu boot drive from a USB thumb drive and boot into your PC and see if you can't access your HDD data to back it up.
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3
#6cuteboi100Posted 8/18/2013 7:13:10 AM
Sounds like the laptop ran out of power at a critical time when Windows was saving files and it is now corrupted. I believe you can still save the files if you connect the HDD to another laptop as a slave HDD.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#7cuteboi100Posted 8/18/2013 7:14:56 AM
This is why it is important to have a backup copy of all of your files. Some even go as far as to have a backup for you backup. The safest place for your files is probably on a storage website where it is tended to by professionals 24/7. Files can be destroyed by spilling coffee if it is in the care of the common user.
---
#8keybladesrus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 7:20:09 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
Worst case scenario use an Ubuntu boot drive from a USB thumb drive and boot into your PC and see if you can't access your HDD data to back it up.

What is an Ubuntu boot drive, and where can I get one?
---
#9cuteboi100Posted 8/18/2013 7:22:01 AM
keybladesrus posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

Ubuntu is an free operating system and you can put it on a USB drive to run. That makes it so you can access your original HDD as a slave drive.
---
#10keybladesrus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 7:25:49 AM
cuteboi100 posted...
keybladesrus posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

Ubuntu is an free operating system and you can put it on a USB drive to run. That makes it so you can access your original HDD as a slave drive.

So I can still salvage my files at least?
---