This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know if this is the right board, but my laptop won't start up! URGENT

#21LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/18/2013 12:16:26 PM
if your hd is dying, put it in the freezer, get a sata usb adapter, and recover the files
---
GOAT
#22kirbyfan64sosPosted 8/18/2013 1:19:50 PM
Don't try a fancy boot disk. Anything should work: Ubuntu, as said before is a good option.

Your best bet however, may be this:

1.Pop out your hard drive. Google it.
2.Buy a SATA to USB adapter.
3.Plug your HDD into one end of the adapter, and plug the other end into a working computer.

Your HDD will appear like a USB flash drive. If the computer is past recovery, that rarely ever fails.
---
This program is bug-free. If you see a bug, it's actually a feature.
#23keybladesrus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 2:28:51 PM
Thanks, everyone. I guess if I can at least salvage all of my files, it's not a total loss. Getting a new pc will be difficult, but oh well...
---
"My favorite color of poop is seven." - Seanbaby, cracked.com
The Official Nox of the Kingdom Hearts 3 Board
#24kirbyfan64sosPosted 8/18/2013 3:05:21 PM
keybladesrus posted...
Thanks, everyone. I guess if I can at least salvage all of my files, it's not a total loss. Getting a new pc will be difficult, but oh well...

Dell Outlet Center has used PCs for cheaper price. Google it(again!).

You could always check out netbooks, but their performance can be crappy at times...

And, there are also Microsoft's Surface tablets. Grabbing it with one of those keyboard/cases(the name of which I forgot) might work, provided you don't hate Windows 8 to a ridiculous extent.
---
#25TimePharaohPosted 8/18/2013 6:43:51 PM
kirbyfan64sos posted...

And, there are also Microsoft's Surface tablets. Grabbing it with one of those keyboard/cases(the name of which I forgot) might work, provided you don't hate Windows 8 to a ridiculous extent.

And why exactly would he do this when he could get a more powerful and useful laptop for cheaper? Or even just a better tablet, cheaper? What a horrifically bad suggestion.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#26EStar999Posted 8/18/2013 6:50:15 PM
Does your laptop still have the recovery partition?
#27keybladesrus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 8:42:42 PM
EStar999 posted...
Does your laptop still have the recovery partition?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then yes. But I can't access it as I can't get past the Compaq logo.
---
"My favorite color of poop is seven." - Seanbaby, cracked.com
The Official Nox of the Kingdom Hearts 3 Board
#28EStar999Posted 8/18/2013 10:44:51 PM
What is the model number of your laptop?
#29kirbyfan64sosPosted 8/19/2013 10:08:26 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
kirbyfan64sos posted...

And why exactly would he do this when he could get a more powerful and useful laptop for cheaper? Or even just a better tablet, cheaper? What a horrifically bad suggestion.

Surface tablet's aren't that bad for simple things. Pretty fast, too.

I'm assuming you don't like Windows 8.

There are also Chromebooks, but they're kind of crippled. Easy, but crippled, like iPhones and iPads. Unless you're comfortable using a terminal(I'm assuming you aren't).
---