This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All of these "Early Access" Steam games are starting to become irritating.

#21Shuriko(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 1:07:25 PM
Robtcee13 posted...
The perk of playing an early access title is that you get to get involved with the development before the game is actually finished. You also get to play an unfinished game before it's actually ready to be released. Anything else is strictly a bonus and you aren't entitled to any other benefits. There's no developer obligation to give you a discount, a bonus, or anything else. If you don't want to buy into early access, don't. I do, sometimes, and I actually talk to developers and get involved on their forums. The developers that do it right make changes as a result of my and other peoples' feedback. To me, that's an awesome feeling. If you don't care about it, focus on finished games.

Ever since the start of video gaming as a whole, devs have paid alpha testers to test their games.

Not the other way around.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LegNtYP.jpg
Park Cho-rong is mah gurl <3
#22TimePharaohPosted 8/18/2013 1:53:19 PM
killkount posted...
Cilym posted...
I've met some people in my life who were messed up, but to support someone who can murder a kid for being black is pretty f***** up.

I like how only the black kid gets national news.

Didn't hear about the black woman who killed a white boy with a torch, did you?

Tell me more about this torch. Was it actually on fire?

Silly british people and your silly terms. It's called a flashlight weirdo
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#23SnipeStarPosted 8/18/2013 4:02:19 PM
Cilym posted...
I've met some people in my life who were messed up, but to support someone who can murder a kid for being black is pretty f***** up.

i guess his broken nose, bloodied face, and gaping head wound don't count for anything >_>

but why look at evidence when we can scream about race!
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#24Shuriko(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 4:19:20 PM
SnipeStar posted...
Cilym posted...

i guess his broken nose, bloodied face, and gaping head wound don't count for anything >_>

what a dumb post.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LegNtYP.jpg
Park Cho-rong is mah gurl <3
#25SnipeStarPosted 8/18/2013 4:20:58 PM
Shuriko posted...
SnipeStar posted...
Cilym posted...

what a dumb post.

dumb post for an incredibly dumb topic
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#26arleasPosted 8/18/2013 4:32:26 PM(edited)
Nobody is forcing you to buy the early access game...and paid testers are not paid to play the game.. they're paid to find bugs, which means you'd be playing one level over and over until you were sick of it (and then you'd play it for about 7 hours more) looking for ways that it could break. Then you'd repeat that with the next level or the one after that.

"Today we're going to be testing the save function" (saves a game with a variety of save names 572 times looking for bugs) Boy this sure is fun!!

Thankfully all these Early access games are marked as such and you can avoid it. A while back I wound up buying a game called "Towns" (very descriptive name don't ya think?) which was basically forced straight out of Compt...um, I mean, straight out of alpha and sold to me as a finished product when it was really horribly buggy and not even worth calling a beta. Nobody had labeled it as "early access" (mostly because the steam early access program didn't exist at that point). I was upset mostly at thinking I was getting a complete game and finding a horrible mess instead.

At least if it's marked Early Access, you know to expect a mess.

So you're paying less than the full price, you're getting to play the game early (which if the game is playable, awesome!), you get to provide feedback to make the game even better... and who knows what else they might do (I guess it depends on the developers). It tends to be indie games that go this route since the "pros" have beta/alpha testers on the payroll already and there's no benefit to them to releasing a game early so whiny kids can complain about it. (Beat the rush, complain now!)

Anyway, I rarely see an early access game advertised to me, and when I do, it clearly says "early access" at which point I can click the box to close the window and it's gone. If they spammed up my email or constantly hounded me to buy this early access game I could totally understand your point.... I haven't seen that though.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png