This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do active USB hubs cause latiency / lower quality in the things using it?

#1MeatballsoupPosted 8/18/2013 11:39:51 AM(edited)
I've got a gamepad, headphones, standing microphone, webcam, and two mice, needing a total of 6 USB ports, and my tower only has 4. So I'm going to buy an active USB hub. But will that cause a drop in quality if my gamepad or mic uses it?
#2Lemur_HPosted 8/18/2013 11:41:23 AM
Just make sure it's powered, probably what you mean by active, and it shouldn't have any issues.
#3Meatballsoup(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 11:45:48 AM
Yeah, I meant powered. Thanks. I was just questioning how one socket would deal with all the extra data but I guess it's not an issue?
#4BDawk2020Posted 8/18/2013 11:48:57 AM
Meatballsoup posted...
Yeah, I meant powered. Thanks. I was just questioning how one socket would deal with all the extra data but I guess it's not an issue?

Naw, one port is rated for an absurd amount of devices I believe.
---
Bring back John, NSC.
#5reincarnator07Posted 8/18/2013 12:11:14 PM
Why 2 mice? Just curious.

Unless you had a couple of external hard drives, I don't think you'll have any problems.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#6LordSeiferPosted 8/18/2013 12:57:18 PM
the latency is probably under a 1000th of a second.
---
^ this
#7Treason686Posted 8/18/2013 1:03:48 PM
BDawk2020 posted...
Meatballsoup posted...

To clarify, the amount of devices is irrelevant.

The amount of data, however, is not. Don't count on things like flash drives or external hard drives to function at full speed if they're plugged into a hub with several other devices passing data to the USB port as well.

A USB 2.0 port is rated at up to 480MBps, but doesn't really reach those speeds in real world use. In addition, USB 2.0 is only half-duplex, meaning it can only send or receive data. It can't do both at the same time, like 3.0. I'm not sure how a hub will come into play in a half-duplex situation.

Short answer: Input devices won't have any noticeable issues. Devices that do a significant amount of data transfer are better plugged directly into a port.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#8wildog2006Posted 8/18/2013 1:12:39 PM
BDawk2020 posted...
Meatballsoup posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Up to 127 devices, including hub devices if present, may be connected to a single host controller.

and, no, of course you won't get full performance from all devices connected like that, but it's possilbe.
---
i7-3770k ~ EVGA GTX670 4GB ~ Intel DZ77GAL-70k ~ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ~ 180GB SSD + 1TB HDD ~ Corsair 850W PSU ~ Silverstone Redline
PSN/360/Steam ~ irysh9
#9Meatballsoup(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 7:07:16 PM(edited)
reincarnator07 posted...
Why 2 mice? Just curious.

Unless you had a couple of external hard drives, I don't think you'll have any problems.

One is a standard pointing mouse, the other is a 6 DoF 3D mouse for manipulating the camera in 3D modeling. (It's a 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator) it's a life saver.