This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the f*** do most businesses and coporations still use Internet Explorer?

#11LordSeiferPosted 8/18/2013 2:55:30 PM
its very easy for one person to change their browser, its a lot harder for a company of 600 people to change their system
---
^ this
#12claytonbuckleyPosted 8/18/2013 3:01:46 PM
Because companies have more than 1 computer. And no one can be bothered putting Firefox or Chrome on all those PCs, they rather just use IE that's already on the PC.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#13JockoPosted 8/18/2013 3:04:17 PM
LOL! Is it just me or does anyone else find the outrage hilarious :)

"Mother $%#@!&!!!!!! I have to open IE to browse this company website!! Where's the closest kitten so I can punch it in the face??!!!!!!"
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#14VIP86Posted 8/18/2013 3:11:41 PM
I have to use IE at work. Although, one of our wholeseller's ordering system can only be accessed from Chrome, so all the computers had to have Chrome installed. And that of course, took about 12 hours, as all of the computers on the network had to be shut down for the update....
---
DESKTOP--i5-3570K| ASUS P8Z77-V| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 400R| INTEL 520 180GB| NOCTUA NH-D14| CORSAIR AX750
#15DerPancakePosted 8/18/2013 3:12:55 PM
Warranty purposes.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#16Darkcloud20Posted 8/18/2013 3:15:38 PM
Internal stuff often was coded specificaly to work with IE and only IE. Which is actually horrible coding but it worked. But it doesn't work with other browsers or even never versions of IE. So often they use stuff that only works with IE6 which is only available till XP so they can't update from XP without recoding their internal stuff. The problem is when the security support for XP runs out they really should.

If they are smart they actually code something that actually follows web standards the next time.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#17darkstar4221Posted 8/18/2013 3:33:04 PM(edited)
HydroCannabinol posted...
IE is fine and is supported by default by Microsoft. Why do most companies use windows?

Because Microsoft has a monopoly in the desktop and there is no os that is 100% compatible with windows, therefore M$ can sell their licenses at inflated prices.

Now why isn't there any os that is 100% compatible with windows? Because Microsoft's software is proprietary and their software is protected by intellectual property laws; ie copyright, patents, and trade secrets. Despite the IP laws Microsoft can adapt open standards such as releasing the documentations for their API, and stuff like that which they refuse to do because M$ would lose market share. Just like how Microsoft refuse to make Direct X cross platform. Making Direct X cross platform means M$ would lose marketshare. M$ just wants everything to themselves.

Certainly without copyright backing up Microsoft's monopoly there would be more interoperability between windows and other oses.
#18darkstar4221Posted 8/18/2013 4:14:24 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Internal stuff often was coded specificaly to work with IE and only IE. Which is actually horrible coding but it worked. But it doesn't work with other browsers or even never versions of IE. So often they use stuff that only works with IE6 which is only available till XP so they can't update from XP without recoding their internal stuff. The problem is when the security support for XP runs out they really should.

If they are smart they actually code something that actually follows web standards the next time.

MS didn't do that by accident, MS did that so they can lock the consumer to only using IE and make every website only compatible with IE.