This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a fix for Windows 7's volume problems?

#1DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/18/2013 9:09:36 PM
That is, distorted sound at max volume?
Even with the Windows volume turned down, the standard audio for DirectX sound produces terrible distortion, especially in midi files, at max volume.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/18/2013 9:32:25 PM
External audio amplifier? Sound card? The external amp would help more, since you could leave windows at about 60% volume and crank it once it got out. Like I do with my little boombox that I keep with my laptop for when youtube channels are too quiet for my one functioning speaker.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 9:52:52 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
That is, distorted sound at max volume?
Even with the Windows volume turned down, the standard audio for DirectX sound produces terrible distortion, especially in midi files, at max volume.

I have a sound card already. It's not a hardware issue at all.
---
Want that Shield!
#4YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/18/2013 9:58:58 PM
Ah. I misunderstood, thought you meant the normal distortion you get when you overamplify a signal and those little issues that always show up in hardware become more apparent. Happens a lot with cheap guitar amps. Sound alright on low, sound trash once you crank them.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#5fataliPosted 8/18/2013 10:53:41 PM
Pretty sure it is a hardware problem, none of my windows 7 PCs have had a problem like that.

I use sennheiser 429 headphones and sony XBA-4 earbuds with them, so is not like I can't hear the distortion because of bad speakers.

The software will never distort a sound wave, it is the analogic circuit that must be doing it.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 3:11:07 AM
It's a known problem with the way Windows 7's sound works. At 100% volume(actually, anything above 70 or 80% I think?), sound becomes distorted as though it's being artificially amped in software.
At first, I thought it was only when the Windows volume dial is set to 100%, and that everything else would be fine so long as I kept that below a certain volume, but then I noticed it for midi playback at high volume(in pretty much anything I try) even though the global volume is nowhere near distortion level.
---
Want that Shield!
#7LordSeiferPosted 8/19/2013 4:22:08 AM
turn volume below 70 and turn speakers up?

ive never noticed this issue on any computers
---
^ this
#8XjphPosted 8/19/2013 4:33:07 AM
I have also never noticed an issue.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#9Ch3wyPosted 8/19/2013 4:34:34 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's a known problem with the way Windows 7's sound works. At 100% volume(actually, anything above 70 or 80% I think?), sound becomes distorted as though it's being artificially amped in software.
At first, I thought it was only when the Windows volume dial is set to 100%, and that everything else would be fine so long as I kept that below a certain volume, but then I noticed it for midi playback at high volume(in pretty much anything I try) even though the global volume is nowhere near distortion level.

That's the first I've heard of that problem. The Windows volume dial is not supposed to work like that at all.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#10happyscrub1Posted 8/19/2013 4:58:46 AM
But.... But.... But.... It's a KNOWN problem! You just have to believe me!
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg