This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a fix for Windows 7's volume problems?

#11arleasPosted 8/19/2013 7:30:01 AM
If I google "Windows 7 volume problem" the only thing that comes up on the first page is "how to fix windows 7's low volume problem" where people complain that the sound goes real quiet for some reason... I don't know of any volume problem where the sound gets distorted above a certain level (unless you're cranking the volume up way too high on crappy speakers).

If this were a known problem with a lot of people complaining about it, surely it would make the first page of google results.

BTW: This topic shows up on the 3rd page of google results

Continuing on to page 5 shows me even MORE topics about the volume being lowered somehow, but now it's mixed in with results about Windows 7 "volume shrinking" which I think is referring to hard drive partitions...So out of the first 5 pages, this topic is the only one complaining about distorted sound. :I
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#12shaned1980Posted 8/19/2013 7:35:52 AM
What sound card are you using?
#13DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 7:37:18 AM
I really don't feel like digging it up again, but I ran across people talking about it on some audiophile forums while looking for information on soundcards and headphones. Didn't think it was such an obscure problem, but it was discussed as a plain fact across all audio equipment.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#14Ch3wyPosted 8/19/2013 7:43:44 AM
You'll be hard pressed to find any posts on audiophile forums where they're suggesting using Windows volume less than 100% when using an external amplifier. Mostly a habit from back in XP when it used to lower the bit-depth when you lowered it at all.

What you're experiencing is not a problem with Windows, it's a problem with your specific setup.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#15The_Mighty_QuinPosted 8/19/2013 7:47:20 AM
Get better speakers?
#16DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 8:07:21 AM
Speakers are fine.
Can turn up the windows volume with no distortion to much higher volumes, but when turning up application volume, distortion appears.
ex:
Windows volume is 50%, application volume is 60%, volume is 30%, no distortion.
Windows volume is 70%, application volume is 70%, volume is ~50%, no distortion.
Windows volume is 30%, application volume is 100%, volume is 30%, much distortion.
Windows volume is 100%, application volume is 30%, volume is 30%, much distortion.

The distortion is pretty typical software preamp type stuff.
---
Want that Shield!
#17Ch3wyPosted 8/19/2013 8:12:08 AM
Windows volume shouldn't be going above 0dBFS, neither does most software. Although I know VLC can.

Do you have an equalizer enabled somewhere that's boosting certain frequencies? If so, reduce the pre-amp on it.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#18PraetorXynPosted 8/19/2013 8:26:42 AM
Ch3wy posted...
You'll be hard pressed to find any posts on audiophile forums where they're suggesting using Windows volume less than 100% when using an external amplifier. Mostly a habit from back in XP when it used to lower the bit-depth when you lowered it at all.

What you're experiencing is not a problem with Windows, it's a problem with your specific setup.

This. Volume always at max so the volume knob is used for consistent control.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#19DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 8:33:44 AM
No equalizer, no preamp.
In this particular case, it's DirectMusic.
---
Want that Shield!
#20reincarnator07Posted 8/19/2013 11:20:32 AM
What exactly is your setup? I've tried to replicate this on multiple PCs and can't do it. Tried it with integrated audio and my audio interface. Tried it on my headphones, my old speakers and my studio monitors. Not noticing anything, even with the volume all the way up (except ear splitting volume ofc)
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero