This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MMO's used to be amazing but now it just seems like the illusion is broken.

#1AzurexNightmarePosted 8/19/2013 12:33:52 AM
Biggest problems with mmo's are quests are mundane and repetitive, IMO nothing is really engaging, combat is usually click on enemy to attack and click on buttons to do special attacks or do moves. You pretty much watch your guy fight for you. And...that's pretty much it.
---
PS3, Vita, 3DS. PSN: xLionhartx
3DS FC: 2964-9886-6268
#2thejectPosted 8/19/2013 12:59:24 AM
Instant gratification killed the genre, right next to the death of the community. Prior to that the genre was doing exceptionally well.

To further explain, it was the push towards LFG for dungeons instantly teleporting you there and opening it to a cross server level. That created the largest problem, which is slowly becoming a standard in a lot of newer MMOs, for ease of grouping as unfortunate as it is.

Rather than focus on getting to know eachother which was 95% of what kept your player base around, they forced us to become more focused on solo content that any person could do, which lead to people who don't even like the genre playing, pushing away a lot of die hard mmo players.

Even with raiding, things like LFR further destroyed the community. My guild couldn't sustain with people going "Meh, I can get stuff from LFR, I saw the bosses, don't need harder content, later!" and I know my guild, in say WoW wasn't the only one affected by this sort of thing.

One thing I really enjoyed about Rift was that they were able to sustain that group mentality, that communication at first, but then even that died down. DCUO certainly couldn't keep it, most alternative games are just pure grindfests.

Despite all this the new Final Fantasy ARR has me pretty excited.
---
"Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive."
#3thejectPosted 8/19/2013 1:02:21 AM
Also to note Guild Wars 2 was, in my opinion, the best take on the MMO genre since World of Warcraft combined all the good things (that existed at the time) and launched in one game. It's exceptionally good if you like the action based combat. I was pretty wrapped up in it until the end game, unfortunately that is where they hurt themselves. It was pretty awful in my opinion, however, the different classes were very well made, and fun, most importantly.
---
"Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive."
#4Zombified_ToastPosted 8/19/2013 3:27:37 AM
The main issue I had with GW2 with the lack of an aggro system. So basically tanks didnt exist.
---
stant447 - So suicide is illegal. But smoking is not? I'm allowed to passively kill myself, but not actively?
Transmutant - Just as long as you die I'm happy.
#5Maiken100Posted 8/19/2013 3:47:06 AM
I agree with theject.
When they added things like in-game quest helper in WoW, for example, it made the game completely brain dead. Also spamming LFG/LFR up to lvl90, without ever speaking to anyone. MMOs are not the same.
#6Digital StormPosted 8/19/2013 3:48:14 AM
Go play EVE Online then. It's definitely not your typical MMO.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#7o0stoneduk0oPosted 8/19/2013 4:13:02 AM
Yh I used to actually enjoy getting a group together to run hcs and dungeons. Yes it took some time but once I was in the dungeon it felt more rewarding to complete it, same with raids. I can see the convenience of lrg, lfr but maybe they should of made it limited to three uses a day for hcs/dungeons and one use per week for a raid. I miss the social aspect of wow, it used to be such an amazing game. I am glad I got to play it in the 'old days' because im sure there will never be another game like it. I have considered trying out a private server that sticks at wrath but I am not sure where to begin and even if I would enjoy it so much now, maybe its just nostalgia.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#8Hi CPosted 8/19/2013 4:27:18 AM
Adding "player vendors" in Shadow of Luclin so there was no more need for face to face trading and killed the commons trade tunnel kicked it off.

Stuff like in Vanguard where they originally reduced the amount of XP needed to level by like 50-75% because the casuals were crying they couldn't get to cap fast enough. Then fast forward a year later after all the casuals left anyway, because that is what they do, they had to add a "stop gaining XP" flag because everyone was outleveling ALL the content before they got to experience it.

Guess what happens when people do all the content in a couple months and there is no real reason to play or anything to work towards and no reason to have pride in your character? You lose 5 million subs and losing more all the time.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9happyscrub1Posted 8/19/2013 5:52:20 AM
Zombified_Toast posted...
The main issue I had with GW2 with the lack of an aggro system. So basically tanks didnt exist.

Skill doesn't exist either since you just spam 6 powers over and over and over and over and over....
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#10Revival125Posted 8/19/2013 8:32:25 AM
Problem with modern MMO's are simple. They forgot the massively multiplayer part. So many devs these days create MMO's to be single player focused with a bit of multiplayer interaction.

Wrong! All the great MMO's over the ages are built to revolve around the COMMUNITY. The community shapes the lore, the world, the events. No more going into town cities and having to actually interact and ask people how to do things and build up friendships, you get it all told in a 2 hour tutorial. And it is this attitude that has led to most MMO's these days being completely silent. There is no "buzz" or "excitement" when you go into a town centre and expect to see people selling their wares or begging or all the other old MMO staples.
---
Spread Your Wings And Fly Away With Me