This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MMO's used to be amazing but now it just seems like the illusion is broken.

#11KURRUPTORPosted 8/19/2013 7:48:31 AM
Revival125 posted...
Problem with modern MMO's are simple. They forgot the massively multiplayer part. So many devs these days create MMO's to be single player focused with a bit of multiplayer interaction.

Wrong! All the great MMO's over the ages are built to revolve around the COMMUNITY. The community shapes the lore, the world, the events. No more going into town cities and having to actually interact and ask people how to do things and build up friendships, you get it all told in a 2 hour tutorial. And it is this attitude that has led to most MMO's these days being completely silent. There is no "buzz" or "excitement" when you go into a town centre and expect to see people selling their wares or begging or all the other old MMO staples.

That's a double edged blade though. When an MMO tries to make the game revolve around the community then it absolutley depends on there being an active community. If numbers start to dip on a server then the server just dies out even if there are still a decent amount of hard-core players there trying to make it work.

In all honesty I think we can all agree that WoW killed the MMO genre in one way or another. Whether you believe they dumbed it down to the point of absurdity (which I personally do) or they just took over the whole MMO fan-base so other games can't really come out of the wood-works and try to succeed because most people aren't going to be playing two MMO's at once.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#12Hi CPosted 8/19/2013 8:00:40 AM
WoW is the CoD of MMO's. It's a bunch of trend chasers playing only because their friends are playing it.

And the constant caving to beggers wanting everything to be just a little easier or more friendly to their, personal time table or lifestyle. Give an inch they take a mile, ad then they come back asking for a little bit more....right before they inevitably quit like they all do leaving the game trashed.

I never heard anyone talk about being bored on Everquest because there was always something to do to improve your character.

Even back in the TBC->LK days 1/2 the server population was in major hub cities just standing around spamming duel on people and doing stupid s*** waiting on the raid or their friends to log on for Arena.
---
You'll be my John G.
#13PhilOnDezPosted 8/19/2013 8:03:19 AM
Zombified_Toast posted...
The main issue I had with GW2 with the lack of an aggro system. So basically tanks didnt exist.

The big problem with "Everybody can do everything!" is that nobody has a job that they can get good at.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#14jake-sfPosted 8/19/2013 8:13:41 AM
MMOs have very little chance in this day and age. Thriving on community with children as they are today? I remember MMOs when -I- was twelve and the people didn't seem so massively stupid. Nowadays, MMO communities are complete and utter garbage. Which makes me think if a MMO did finally set out to be a true MMO instead of a single player game -> would it even work? Would I care to play with a few millions teenagers spouting the crap they do today?

Back in the days everything about gaming was niche and believe it or not, it made the average teenager smarter, more focused. They actually cared to be there, they were nerds. Nowadays, if a MMO is to be successful, every pathetic cool kid needs to know about it.

Kind of an overly pessimistic view, maybe. I certainly would like a true MMO to exist again, but I doubt I'd have fun unless it had a genuine intelligence and maturity check. Which means someone out there would need to spend incredible amount of money to.. appeal a .. minority?... Well, don't kill me if I don't believe that will never happen.

Sure, there's always good people in each MMOs and you can always end up finding the right people and "clans". But back in the days, mind you the only thing I ever played was The 4th Coming, -everything- was about the community. Heck, everybody could kill each other and there literally were consequences that could land you in jail for a week or two. That kind of thing that made those games so amazing don't work well with today's masses anyway.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#15Hi CPosted 8/19/2013 8:44:09 AM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
Zombified_Toast posted...
The main issue I had with GW2 with the lack of an aggro system. So basically tanks didnt exist.

The big problem with "Everybody can do everything!" is that nobody has a job that they can get good at.

Everybody can do everything...except tank or heal.

Which makes me think if a MMO did finally set out to be a true MMO instead of a single player game -> would it even work?

Exactly what happened to Vanguard in 2008. The WoW taint had already settled in the industry for 3 years and the casuals savaged that game from the start. Along with an impossible to modify Unreal Engine and the games early bugs it's never really accomplished what it could. The game was actually a lot more solo forgiving than Everquest and it still wasn't enough to save it from the idiots.
---
You'll be my John G.
#16ThugstarPosted 8/19/2013 8:39:57 AM
My best MMO memories were definitely in the early stages of the games. When you actually had to work for things. It felt more like a race and a way bigger accomplishment when things are challenging.

MMOs have catered to the casual gamer more and more and even though the games added tons of content, they only became less fun. It's like they serve you everything on a silver platter saying "have fun". But games are supposed to be challenging. And in a MMO the challenge should be in the grind. The grind is what makes you socialize and makes it become an adventure.
#17ThugstarPosted 8/19/2013 8:48:00 AM
Of course there is one omnipresent problem with MMOs: newbie areas become deserted. When everyone is still low level, it's a great ride from beginning to end. But when you missed that boat and start the MMO after most have leveled up you will have a hard time (back in the days) or simply a boring solo experience.
#18Sub TankPosted 8/19/2013 8:48:16 AM
MMO's used to be about exploring online worlds and player interaction. Now it's all about NPCs telling you how to play, and the player interaction is either forced or limited to the point where you can't do anything.
---
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
#19machetemanPosted 8/19/2013 8:51:28 AM
Yeah, we know FFXIV sucks.
#20OldSorrowPosted 8/19/2013 8:59:56 AM
PSO 2
Blade and Soul

action mmo
---
Battlestation: http://i.imgur.com/1irYICl.jpg