This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MMO's used to be amazing but now it just seems like the illusion is broken.

#21Revival125Posted 8/19/2013 10:32:41 AM
jake-sf posted...
MMOs have very little chance in this day and age. Thriving on community with children as they are today? I remember MMOs when -I- was twelve and the people didn't seem so massively stupid. Nowadays, MMO communities are complete and utter garbage. Which makes me think if a MMO did finally set out to be a true MMO instead of a single player game -> would it even work? Would I care to play with a few millions teenagers spouting the crap they do today?

Back in the days everything about gaming was niche and believe it or not, it made the average teenager smarter, more focused. They actually cared to be there, they were nerds. Nowadays, if a MMO is to be successful, every pathetic cool kid needs to know about it.

Kind of an overly pessimistic view, maybe. I certainly would like a true MMO to exist again, but I doubt I'd have fun unless it had a genuine intelligence and maturity check. Which means someone out there would need to spend incredible amount of money to.. appeal a .. minority?... Well, don't kill me if I don't believe that will never happen.

Sure, there's always good people in each MMOs and you can always end up finding the right people and "clans". But back in the days, mind you the only thing I ever played was The 4th Coming, -everything- was about the community. Heck, everybody could kill each other and there literally were consequences that could land you in jail for a week or two. That kind of thing that made those games so amazing don't work well with today's masses anyway.

Agree with everything you just said.

MMO's like Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online couldnt exist these days.

Ultima online especially. It was my first MMO experience in the early days of the game. The game dropped you into a huge world, no tutorials really. You had to find your own way in the world, find a player "mentor" who could teach you the ropes and get some equipment and build up from there all the while playing in a dangerous world where if you went to the wrong place, could be killed.
---
Spread Your Wings And Fly Away With Me
#22Revival125Posted 8/19/2013 10:33:37 AM
Sub Tank posted...
MMO's used to be about exploring online worlds and player interaction. Now it's all about NPCs telling you how to play, and the player interaction is either forced or limited to the point where you can't do anything.

Also agree with this.
---
Spread Your Wings And Fly Away With Me
#23Hi CPosted 8/19/2013 10:48:35 AM
OldSorrow posted...
PSO 2
Blade and Soul

action mmo

PSO is not an MMO. It's an action RPG with online co-op like Diablo.
---
You'll be my John G.
#24EternalFlame66Posted 8/19/2013 10:56:38 AM
Thank god for guild wars 2. The only decent MMORPG around.
---
Such is your fate.
#25matu90rkPosted 8/19/2013 10:59:12 AM
Hi C posted...
OldSorrow posted...
PSO 2
Blade and Soul

action mmo

PSO is not an MMO. It's an action RPG with online co-op like Diablo.

Also BnS is not really true action, more like target-based with combos.
#26RheygarPosted 8/19/2013 11:04:48 AM
Ultima Online was still my best MMO experience, one of, if not, my best gaming experience. I don't see a game like that coming again, disappointing.
#27jakisthePosted 8/19/2013 11:18:46 AM
MMOs will recede until really fast Internet becomes the standard, which will lead to devs having actually interesting combat systems - leading to people staying because the actual core gameplay itself is fun, independent of progression or community.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#28Sub TankPosted 8/19/2013 1:34:23 PM(edited)
Rheygar posted...
Ultima Online was still my best MMO experience, one of, if not, my best gaming experience. I don't see a game like that coming again, disappointing.

Yeah, probably not. UO had the right idea, but it was the "addictive" MMOs that won out in the end. Now everything is so streamlined and watered down. Just look at whatever is popular.

People will tell you stuff like "the real game doesn't start until you reach <max level>" and that's pretty much the current state of the entire MMO genre. You spend all this time grinding, without unwanted interaction, because that would just be a distraction from your endless quest for EXP and loot. The only real surprise the game can throw at you is "Oh this guy is farming where I want to farm -- But I can't do anything to stop him, so I guess I'll just find someplace else."
---
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
#29r0ge00Posted 8/19/2013 1:35:02 PM
Rheygar posted...
Ultima Online was still my best MMO experience

+1
#30giglamesh99Posted 8/19/2013 1:37:08 PM
1. Make game appeal to the masses

2. ???

3. Profit