This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MMO's used to be amazing but now it just seems like the illusion is broken.

#31GhennkinsPosted 8/19/2013 2:05:51 PM
They all have their problems. I'm not even sure it's possible to make a good mmo anymore.

Take WoW for example. During beta and launch was imho the best time to play that game. Before the devs took the "War' part and crammed it into BGs and instances. You fought the other fraction out in the open (Usually barrens or something) and you did it for fun even sometimes crashing the server because they got so crazy out of hand. Blizzard seeing this thought... "Nu uh! None of that!" and turned what was fun and made it into a horrible horrible grind.

Then the raids. I played WoW a few years and never saw any raid content. Just wasn't in a raid guild and I'll be damned if I was ever going to fill out an application form to join one. As a result, I never saw probably over half WoW's content. I paid the same sub everyone else did though. I quit for other reasons around the outlands expansion whenever that was.

Some commenter here claim devs are forgetting the mmo part of mmos. I wish. Forcing people to party with strangers doesn't always end in the best results. Especially in mmos with a young idiotic community. Eventually, especially in games like Wow, there are no other players to make a group with for all the low level instances. So you either get a high level to steam roll you through, or don't do it at all. That's bad.

The MMO I'd love to play would be pretty similar to Vindictus in it's combat mechanics. Hell, you can solo raid bosses in that game with this weird and strange thing games used to need. I think it's called 'skill'. Playing with strangers should always be optional in my honest opinion. Using 'skill' to conquer ingame obstacles is something non-mmo games do sometimes. It provides a strong sense of achievement and satisfaction.

When I said it's probably not possible to make a good mmo anymore... well even f2p mmos fail and they're free. If a free game can fail, a sub game's chances can't be all that great. Since f2p is the new and growing model for mmos, and since f2p mmos are designed in such a way as to have all the content up front and none at all in the back.... they fail as mmos, but succeed in high churn cash cows for publishers. I have as of yet to play a f2p mmo with long lasting longevity.
I think people want a free sub based mmo. If that existed, it would tank pretty quick. So they'd probably sell something appealing in a ingame cash shop, like power or ingame conveniences that shouldn't be pay walled.
#32Xero KaiserPosted 8/19/2013 2:19:14 PM
Thugstar posted...
And in a MMO the challenge should be in the grind. The grind is what makes you socialize and makes it become an adventure.

But a grind isn't challenging, just time-consuming and tedious.

Grinds don't make a game an adventure. Grinds are the exact opposite of adventure. "Adventure" means exploration, discovery, seeing new things. Not standing the same spot for days on end, killing 835,739 gnolls because you need the rep.
#33sirtonnePosted 8/19/2013 2:23:31 PM
MMOs used to be amazing? News to me, and I started with UO.
#34nickizgr8Posted 8/19/2013 2:48:40 PM
AzurexNightmare posted...
Biggest problems with mmo's are quests are mundane and repetitive, IMO nothing is really engaging, combat is usually click on enemy to attack and click on buttons to do special attacks or do moves. You pretty much watch your guy fight for you. And...that's pretty much it.

WE GOT A CLICKER.

Everybody abandon ship. It's to late to save us now.

Were going down. Mayday Mayday.
#35happyscrub1Posted 8/19/2013 2:49:32 PM
nickizgr8 posted...
Biggest problems with mmo's are quests are mundane and repetitive, IMO nothing is really engaging, combat is usually click on enemy to attack and click on buttons to do special attacks or do moves. You pretty much watch your guy fight for you. And...that's pretty much it.

WE GOT A CLICKER.

:( someone clicks their powers... makes me sad
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#36Hi CPosted 8/19/2013 6:20:43 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
nickizgr8 posted...

WE GOT A CLICKER.

:( someone clicks their powers... makes me sad

Probably turns with A/D as well.
---
You'll be my John G.
#37Hi CPosted 8/19/2013 6:23:00 PM
jakisthe posted...
MMOs will recede until really fast Internet becomes the standard, which will lead to devs having actually interesting combat systems - leading to people staying because the actual core gameplay itself is fun, independent of progression or community.

EQ bards did this 14 years ago.
---
You'll be my John G.
#38ZukkusPosted 8/19/2013 6:31:18 PM
Everyone seems bent on making amusement park MMOs instead of sandbox MMOs. I remember playing pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies, and some of the funnest part was my guild made our own city out in the middle of nowhere on Tatooine. People entertained themselves by sitting around in cantinas (with music played by other players) and tooling around space in their own ships.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#39TimePharaohPosted 8/19/2013 6:44:27 PM
theject posted...
Also to note Guild Wars 2 was, in my opinion, the best take on the MMO genre since World of Warcraft combined all the good things (that existed at the time) and launched in one game. It's exceptionally good if you like the action based combat. I was pretty wrapped up in it until the end game, unfortunately that is where they hurt themselves. It was pretty awful in my opinion, however, the different classes were very well made, and fun, most importantly.

The "different classes" were essentially just reskins
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#40machetemanPosted 8/19/2013 7:58:49 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
theject posted...
Also to note Guild Wars 2 was, in my opinion, the best take on the MMO genre since World of Warcraft combined all the good things (that existed at the time) and launched in one game. It's exceptionally good if you like the action based combat. I was pretty wrapped up in it until the end game, unfortunately that is where they hurt themselves. It was pretty awful in my opinion, however, the different classes were very well made, and fun, most importantly.

The "different classes" were essentially just reskins

I never got that feeling from GW2. Thief played like nothing else. Neither did Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer...

Now FFXIV on the other hand. Everyone limited essentially by the same "Tactical Points", everyone on the same 2.5s GCD, not to mention being able to use other classes abilities just removes any sort of individuality from the classes. The only thing that seperates the classes in FFXIV are the weapon you wield. Monks with fist weapons using abilities from an Archer that requires bows just kills me..