This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MMO's used to be amazing but now it just seems like the illusion is broken.

#41anonymous4everPosted 8/19/2013 8:13:05 PM
I personally think cross server LFG was the best thing to happen to WoW.

It makes the old content somewhat relevant again.
#42MagnemightPosted 8/19/2013 8:24:57 PM
anonymous4ever posted...
I personally think cross server LFG was the best thing to happen to WoW.

It makes the old content somewhat relevant again.

It's great for old content, since it would be hard to find it naturally, but it still crushes the potential group-making social aspect of the newest dungeons.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#43jakisthePosted 8/19/2013 9:34:04 PM
Hi C posted...
jakisthe posted...
MMOs will recede until really fast Internet becomes the standard, which will lead to devs having actually interesting combat systems - leading to people staying because the actual core gameplay itself is fun, independent of progression or community.

EQ bards did this 14 years ago.

No they didn't. I mean the kind of internet that can support constantly moving hitboxes for thousands of players with frame perfect readings and such. That kind of infrastructure doesn't exist today, much less 14 years ago.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#44BogePosted 8/19/2013 10:19:38 PM
I used to really enjoy them, but not anymore. World of Warcraft was amazing until they made a 2 year old able to play it.

Star Wars the Old Republic was fun, but I think it was at the end of my "Clone" MMOs days. Played the same as the others, but it was at least challenging.

Been playing Rift a bit, but it's just like a flavorless World of Warcraft.

Yeah, I'm completely burned of the traditional MMORPGs. I'm not sure how or when they'll break the mold.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#45JKatarnPosted 8/19/2013 10:27:42 PM
jake-sf posted...
MMOs have very little chance in this day and age. Thriving on community with children as they are today? I remember MMOs when -I- was twelve and the people didn't seem so massively stupid. Nowadays, MMO communities are complete and utter garbage. Which makes me think if a MMO did finally set out to be a true MMO instead of a single player game -> would it even work? Would I care to play with a few millions teenagers spouting the crap they do today?

Back in the days everything about gaming was niche and believe it or not, it made the average teenager smarter, more focused. They actually cared to be there, they were nerds. Nowadays, if a MMO is to be successful, every pathetic cool kid needs to know about it.

Kind of an overly pessimistic view, maybe. I certainly would like a true MMO to exist again, but I doubt I'd have fun unless it had a genuine intelligence and maturity check. Which means someone out there would need to spend incredible amount of money to.. appeal a .. minority?... Well, don't kill me if I don't believe that will never happen.

Sure, there's always good people in each MMOs and you can always end up finding the right people and "clans". But back in the days, mind you the only thing I ever played was The 4th Coming, -everything- was about the community. Heck, everybody could kill each other and there literally were consequences that could land you in jail for a week or two. That kind of thing that made those games so amazing don't work well with today's masses anyway.

Of course games back then didn't have the production budgets/backend sophistication modern games do (largely due to gaming going more mainstream, but you'd have to imagine the steady march of technology would lead us here anyway - game developers have always strived to make their worlds as realistic/well realized as the technology of the time would allow). If they want to even break even they have to cast as wide a net as possible, game developers (except smaller developers with a niche audience etc.) can't target the hardcore/core niche exclusively, they'd go bankrupt. So they design the MMOs/games mainly around the casual/core audience while including high-end raids/hardmode instances etc. for the hardcore types hoping everyone is satisfied.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#46JKatarnPosted 8/19/2013 10:32:06 PM
Xero Kaiser posted...
Thugstar posted...
And in a MMO the challenge should be in the grind. The grind is what makes you socialize and makes it become an adventure.

But a grind isn't challenging, just time-consuming and tedious.

Grinds don't make a game an adventure. Grinds are the exact opposite of adventure. "Adventure" means exploration, discovery, seeing new things. Not standing the same spot for days on end, killing 835,739 gnolls because you need the rep.

This, grinding can be fun if you're fighting varied monsters in different areas, but it's largely doing the same thing, over and over - it's more of a test of will than skill.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#47JKatarnPosted 8/19/2013 10:34:30 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
theject posted...
Also to note Guild Wars 2 was, in my opinion, the best take on the MMO genre since World of Warcraft combined all the good things (that existed at the time) and launched in one game. It's exceptionally good if you like the action based combat. I was pretty wrapped up in it until the end game, unfortunately that is where they hurt themselves. It was pretty awful in my opinion, however, the different classes were very well made, and fun, most importantly.

The "different classes" were essentially just reskins

Yeah, I don't think you've played more than 5 minutes (if anything) of Guild Wars 2, the classes are definitely distinct from one another with different skills for different weapons dependent on class, varied skill mechanisms (thief initiative, energy etc.).
---
#48FaendrylPosted 8/21/2013 5:34:15 PM
I miss EverQuest

http://tinyurl.com/IMissEQ

R.I.P.
---
3570k@4.9GHz Delid | Asrock Extreme6 | G.Skill 16GB | MSI R7950 TF3 1200/1575 | Corsair TX750W | Cosmos S
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=907670
#49fuzzymanPosted 8/21/2013 5:40:07 PM(edited)
They are too time invasive

They are not fun when grinding, respectively, you'll spend 100x the time spent in TES.

That amounts to 20,000 hours

I had an MMO character (bare in mind afk and idles overnight) with 160+ days playtime.
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#50lionheart5656Posted 8/21/2013 5:39:45 PM
They were never amazing.

They are a giant trap from the get go meant to make you waste hours upon hours of your life doing nothing.

Even I could understand that when I was still in high school.

There is nothing amazing about meaningless grinding.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.