This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does every product aimed at gamers / for gaming have to glow?

#1SolidKnightPosted 8/19/2013 4:23:17 AM
Seems like everything aimed at gamers has a hideous design full of glowing parts and crazy looking components to make it look totally radical man. It's insulting.
#2Maiken100Posted 8/19/2013 4:28:08 AM
I was in "PC world" the other day thinking the same thing. I could spot the gaming section from a mile off thanks to the gamma radiation coming from Razer products.
#3YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/19/2013 4:37:40 AM
Good question. I'm actually glad my motherboard only had one fan header so I can leave the front fan with its red lights unplugged. Don't mind my mouse, though. Makes it easier to find in the dark.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#4Jprime666Posted 8/19/2013 4:58:13 AM
The radiation makes you game better.
---
How many emotions is people?
#5ElDudorinoPosted 8/19/2013 5:09:06 AM
SolidKnight posted...
Seems like everything aimed at gamers has a hideous design full of glowing parts and crazy looking components to make it look totally radical man. It's insulting.

To be fair, if you're an educated "gamer" you know that most of these glowing parts don't offer you any real advantage. There are plenty of high-end keyboards that don't glow, and in fact a lot of the best ones don't (or they just offer backlighting as an option at most). Same goes for mice. Most fans don't glow, and as far as cases go it's mostly the ones that already looked like rocketships to begin with that have LED Christmas lights on them.

On the other hand, as far as marketing goes, it seems there's a general consensus that people who avidly self-identify as "gamers" also have a need to stand out and post pictures of their "battlestations" online and these people need to have glowy, crazy setups to brag about. If they just showed everybody a desktop that looked like any ole workstation, why, a non-gamer might not even recognize that they're gamers!!! And when these guys are buying cases with glass sides to show off their components, they want components that will leap out at you rather than just having a plain green circuit board with a handful of other plain green circuit boards plugged into it.

It makes sense to me. Generally the older crowd who still likes games will just buy whatever performance parts are available to put their computer together and it won't have to glow and won't matter what the inside looks like anyway. But the glowiness is there for the people who really want to stand out.

Plus, glowing stuff IS rad to the max. So.
#6aak57Posted 8/19/2013 5:10:21 AM
LOOKATMELOOKATMELOOKATME, essentially.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#7NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 5:15:48 AM
aak57 posted...
LOOKATMELOOKATMELOOKATME, essentially.

10/10
#8LordSeiferPosted 8/19/2013 5:22:38 AM
you cant see gamma radiation.
---
^ this
#9SlaynPosted 8/19/2013 5:33:07 AM
Because it attracts people to buy them.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#10Maiken100Posted 8/19/2013 5:35:15 AM
LordSeifer posted...
you cant see gamma radiation.

That's what I thought before I walked into PC World...