This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I give Dragon Age Origins another chance?

#41ShurikoPosted 8/19/2013 12:40:17 PM
Got a severe case of nostialgia goggles
---
http://i.imgur.com/LegNtYP.jpg
Park Cho-rong is mah gurl <3
#42TimePharaohPosted 8/19/2013 12:42:17 PM(edited)
KURRUPTOR posted...
Modernizing a game does not always make it bad, imo (and many other peoples') DA:O did a great job of modernizing the genre. If you want to play Baldur's Gate then go play Baldur's Gate it was a great game for it's time and it's still very fun, but there is no reason that DA:O should try to be the exact same game, it's not what was intended and to criticize it for that doesn't make much sense to me.

It doesn't HAVE to but uh....yea, it always does. Right this second I can't name a series that (or genre if you want to broaden it) that got better when it was "modernized", but I can throw out a list of a dozen that went the complete opposite in seconds.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#43Incendia_IntusPosted 8/19/2013 12:42:51 PM
I realize almost everyone hates it, but I thought it was alright. I beat in 3 or 4 times total I think. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it. I modded it quite a bit too though.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#44KURRUPTORPosted 8/19/2013 1:29:04 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...
Modernizing a game does not always make it bad, imo (and many other peoples') DA:O did a great job of modernizing the genre. If you want to play Baldur's Gate then go play Baldur's Gate it was a great game for it's time and it's still very fun, but there is no reason that DA:O should try to be the exact same game, it's not what was intended and to criticize it for that doesn't make much sense to me.

It doesn't HAVE to but uh....yea, it always does. Right this second I can't name a series that (or genre if you want to broaden it) that got better when it was "modernized", but I can throw out a list of a dozen that went the complete opposite in seconds.

AC -> ACII
TL -> TL2
Tomb Raider 4-whatever -> New Tomb Raider
The Witcher -> The Witcher 2

A few games that "modernized" into a better game. And that's just sequels not genre's.

DA:O imo was better than BG was, the general premises of the games is the same but I really like the way DA:O worked the combat out to be not quite real time and not quite turn based but a beautiful mixture in between the two.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#45TheFeshPincePosted 8/19/2013 1:30:38 PM
Yes, you should.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#46TimePharaohPosted 8/19/2013 1:37:26 PM(edited)
TL=Torchlight? The first one came out in 2009....Witcher came out 2007....what's AC? Assassin's Creed? None of those three got "modernized" when all three are....already modern.

And Witcher 2 definitely suffered from dumb peasant syndrome with that terrible menu
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#47matu90rkPosted 8/19/2013 1:38:24 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
TL=Torchlight? The first one came out in 2009....Witcher came out 2007....what's AC? Assassin's Creed? None of those three got "modernized" when all three are....already modern.

And Witcher 2 definitely suffered from dumb peasant syndrome with that terrible menu

This. And also the first 3 Tomb Raider games > the new Tomb Raider with no tombs.
#48daemon_danPosted 8/19/2013 1:47:53 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...

AC -> ACII
TL -> TL2
Tomb Raider 4-whatever -> New Tomb Raider
The Witcher -> The Witcher 2

A few games that "modernized" into a better game. And that's just sequels not genre's.

DA:O imo was better than BG was, the general premises of the games is the same but I really like the way DA:O worked the combat out to be not quite real time and not quite turn based but a beautiful mixture in between the two.

AC was modern already, and AC II wasn't modernization, just a sequel and some tweaking.

Torchlight 1 and 2 are almost the same game but the second has multiplayer. And neither is modernized at all. You want to see what a diablo style game modernized is, go play Diablo 3. Let's see how you feel

Tomb Raider: The new Tomb Raider is fun. But it's not better than all of its predecessors, cause putting in all that Uncharted and Gears of War crap turned it into a TPS game instead of a puzzle and exploration game with some shooting.

The Witcher 2 wasn't modernized. Changes to the system =/= modernization.

SO

There ya go
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#49NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 1:59:52 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
DA:O imo was better than BG was,

lol

the general premises of the games is the same but I really like the way DA:O worked the combat out to be not quite real time and not quite turn based but a beautiful mixture in between the two.

uh, Baldur's Gate was the first to do that unless you count Darklands (and most people who would died long ago from old age).

Origins also isn't turn-based, the TB Baldur's Gate simulates thru auto-pauses are based on D&D time increments (1 round being 6 secs, 1 turn being 10 rounds, or 1 min). Origins doesn't have that, just cuz it's realtime with pause (RtWP) doesn't mean it's "half TB".

anyway. what DA:O brought to the table was a plausibly user-friendly tactical conditional AI framework menu. not much else

BG series is god-tier, along with Fallout is brought RPGs back from the brink. Origins wasn't revolutionary or genre-defining at all.
#50SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 2:02:28 PM
I actually preferred D3 over D2, but I had played D2 after Titan Quest, which I felt was a much better game. Also, my friends got into D3 with me, unlike D2.

It was an extremely fun game to play with friends over Skype or at a LAN party, and the changes it made were very well suited for that.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch