This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I give Dragon Age Origins another chance?

#61ShurikoPosted 8/19/2013 3:43:01 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
Origins is nowhere near as vast as BG2, the main hub city of BG2 is larger, more open and more complex than the whole of Origins put together in what you can conceivably do.

Origins had a living, breathing 3D world.

Origins did not have a single scene without voice acting.

When you make a high-budget title like Origins you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

And considering what they accomplished, the 100 or so hours of gameplay I got on my first playthrough were more than acceptable and far more fleshed-out than any of the individual quests in Baldur's Gate II. Side characters in Origins like the Lady of the Forest felt layered and easy to sympathize with, even if you didn't necessarily agree with their ethos.

BG2 also suffered from an oversaturation of companions, some of which only had upwards of 20-30 lines. I don't see how you can insult Origins' companions when they all have plenty to say and allow the player to connect with them more meaningfully in the campfire hub than in any Infinity Engine RPG.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LegNtYP.jpg
Park Cho-rong is mah gurl <3
#62NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 3:59:28 PM
Shuriko posted...
Origins had a living, breathing 3D world.

"Dwarven crafts, fine dwarven crafts"

Origins did not have a single scene without voice acting.
When you make a high-budget title like Origins you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

which was my point, there's less diversity going on because of the "need" to voice and cinematize everything (which is expensive).

And considering what they accomplished, the 100 or so hours of gameplay I got on my first playthrough were more than acceptable and far more fleshed-out than any of the individual quests in Baldur's Gate II. Side characters in Origins like the Lady of the Forest felt layered and easy to sympathize with, even if you didn't necessarily agree with their ethos.

why are you comparing 100 hours of Origins with one BG2 sidequest lol?

BG2 also suffered from an oversaturation of companions, some of which only had upwards of 20-30 lines.

name one BG2 companion that only had 20-30 lines.

I don't see how you can insult Origins' companions when they all have plenty to say and allow the player to connect with them more meaningfully in the campfire hub than in any Infinity Engine RPG.

this guy hasn't played Planescape: Torment. and PS:T dialogues weren't tongue-in-cheek tween-level banter, they were deeply conceptual and morally laced.

Dak'kon, Grace and Morte annihilate anything in Origins.
#63ShurikoPosted 8/19/2013 4:32:36 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Dak'kon, Grace and Morte annihilate anything in Origins.

Since when are you comparing it to Torment? Since when are you bringing up completely left-field points about how well Torment's companions were written? Do you even understand what you're trying to argue?

Since you insist on deterring this, interaction with those companions is limited (aside from Grace who for some reason Avellone chose to have a s***load of dialogue trees). You have talks with them about their past, yes, but there is very little small talk to build up any sort of connection. This is why BioWare includes your alleged "tween-level banter". They are minor conversations that make it easier to see the companions as real people instead of written fictional entities. Not every dialogue exchange is supposed to be some groundbreaking revelation.

Ningishzida posted...
why are you comparing 100 hours of Origins with one BG2 sidequest lol?

I'm comparing the quality of Origins' quests as a whole to those of BG2 as a whole. A lot of BG2's quests, while well-written, featured very shallow characters that were nigh impossible to like in any meaningful way. This isn't realistic. People aren't just born wanting to be shallow mindless jackasses. Featuring characters that are objectively evil with no redeeming qualities is not a good idea. Origins made me feel like I was actually in the middle of legitimate conflict, not chasing one-dimensional wizards who captured some random people because "POWERRRRR".
---
#64matu90rkPosted 8/19/2013 4:46:09 PM
"Hello Grey Warden, wanna buy my DLC?"
#65SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 4:47:34 PM
matu90rk posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
matu90rk posted...
I like Borderland's itemization. Unique items are interesting and they enable cool builds.

When I played D3 all items were stat sticks. It seemed like I was just working towards reaching a certain DPS number that would allow me to kill stuff in the same way as the other 2 million monks in the game. And the "action" part consisted of executing the same rotation of >6 skills over and over.

Loot and character customization are what made Diablo 2 so popular to the point of spawning a genre of its own (that's why everybody calls Loot-based hack & slash games "Diablo-clones").

I think you are being hyperbolic there, you didn't really rotate skills, at least no any of the classes I played, and even if you did, I'd still prefer than over spamming 1 skill and then using a potion.

I was being generous with the skill rotation thing. My monk just buffed himself with MoC, SW, Healbuff and then right clicked things to proc tornados. Occasional use of Serenity and SSS to dodge arcane beams. That got me through Inferno.

I don't mind that kind of gameplay at all, but I wouldn't say it triumphs in the action category against more action-oriented RPGs. Why do you think the genre is referred to as "Hack & Slash" ?

Just saying it beats D2's.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#66NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 5:07:54 PM
Shuriko posted...
Since when are you comparing it to Torment? Since when are you bringing up completely left-field points about how well Torment's companions were written? Do you even understand what you're trying to argue?

since you said IE games. didn't you even know PS:T was an IE game? lol

not reading the rest of your post, you're not worth conversing with if you didn't even know that.

Lrn2 dev a memory more than one post long.
#67NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 5:30:26 PM(edited)
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Just saying it beats D2's.

Anyone can say anything and not back it up. Like the guy who just said BG2 companions have 20-30 lines of dialogue, and then when i asked him to name even just one companion that had only that many lines, he couldn't (because the truth is every companion dialogue far exceeds 20-30 lines)

awh yeah
#68Fimble_the_magePosted 8/19/2013 5:23:17 PM
Born Lucky posted...
For a game that was supposed to be the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate", I never see anyone talking about it.

It's a below average game with unlikeable characters. That's what happens when devs put all their energy into pushing an agenda instead of trying to make a great game. That kind of thinking has been ruining all genres of entertainment for the past 25 years.

You want a good party based game? Try Neverwinter Nights 2, or the Drakensang series..

It failed pretty hard at being a successor to Baldur's Gate. It felt more like... generic modern Bioware game.
---
Omegle is the worst site ever
#69ShurikoPosted 8/19/2013 5:31:22 PM
Fimble_the_mage posted...
Born Lucky posted...
For a game that was supposed to be the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate", I never see anyone talking about it.

It's a below average game with unlikeable characters. That's what happens when devs put all their energy into pushing an agenda instead of trying to make a great game. That kind of thinking has been ruining all genres of entertainment for the past 25 years.

You want a good party based game? Try Neverwinter Nights 2, or the Drakensang series..

It failed pretty hard at being a successor to Baldur's Gate. It felt more like... generic modern Bioware game.

http://i.imgur.com/6Viisu9.jpg
---
#70NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 5:35:53 PM
Fimble_the_mage posted...

i hate to run it into the ground because it IS a decent RPG (i would say elite-tier with the right mods), but there's just no way it's on par with BG2 which is god-tier.

BG2 is... astonishing... in what you can do in it.

Origins is Baby's 1st and RPG-lite standing next to BG2.