This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I give Dragon Age Origins another chance?

#71ShurikoPosted 8/19/2013 4:36:59 PM
Ningishzida posted...
BG2 is... astonishing... in what you can do in it.

You mean like sitting in a field clicking Rest hundreds of times to see Jaheira's romance dialogue that will never be completeld within the duration of a normal playthrough?

People need to stop equating flawed game mechanics to being "hardcore".
---
http://i.imgur.com/LegNtYP.jpg
Park Cho-rong is mah gurl <3
#72NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 4:44:58 PM(edited)
Shuriko posted...
You mean like sitting in a field clicking Rest hundreds of times to see Jaheira's romance dialogue that will never be completeld within the duration of a normal playthrough?

i don't play them for romance mini-games, but is that what you did lol? you could have advanced time from the console, you know. the other romances are fine, btw.

and try being honest with yourself, DA:O made the opposite mistake with Morrigan who could be romanced almost immediately, what solution was there for that - a mod? lol

People need to stop equating flawed game mechanics to being "hardcore".

BG2 is hardcore and Origins is Baby's first for many reasons. Origins has some of the worst level-scaling outside of Oblivion.
#73ShurikoPosted 8/19/2013 4:47:49 PM
Ningishzida posted...
you could have advanced time from the console

literally telling me to go into the console to play a video game as intended.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LegNtYP.jpg
Park Cho-rong is mah gurl <3
#74NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 4:49:48 PM
Shuriko posted...

hey, games have bugs. but pc gamers know about consoles, they don't click an icon a thousand times over and over lol

just admit it, BG2 > Origins. ^_^
#75SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 6:59:08 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Just saying it beats D2's.

Anyone can say anything and not back it up. Like the guy who just said BG2 companions have 20-30 lines of dialogue, and then when i asked him to name even just one companion that had only that many lines, he couldn't (because the truth is every companion dialogue far exceeds 20-30 lines)

awh yeah

That's why I did back it up.

Are you saying that most builds in D2 aren't just cranking up one skill(along with its synergies) and then spamming it until you run out of mana? Because that's just absurd.

Even the build he talked about where he just buffed himself up is more interesting than that.

Honestly, it's not even worth arguing about. It's not like there aren't better ARPGs out there than D2. Not knocking it or anything. It's just like X-Com, one of those games that was incredible when it came out that the fans have on a pedestal that they won't allow anything else to reach in their mind.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#76nintendogamer13Posted 8/19/2013 7:03:34 PM
Two words, Circle Tower.

Never will you ever want to replay the game because of it.
#77NingishzidaPosted 8/19/2013 8:05:05 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Are you saying that most builds in D2 aren't just cranking up one skill(along with its synergies) and then spamming it until you run out of mana? Because that's just absurd.

absurd for people who think the challenge of D2 is Normal and not Hell Hardcore, yeah. or the people who aren't doing /players8 ubers on MXL Destruction, yeah.
#78SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 8:24:46 PM(edited)
What are you trying to accomplish with this argument?

The game is brain dead simple on normal, slightly less so on Hell. The whole point of the Diablo games are to be accessible. They are pretty much Roguelikes with minimal critical thinking skills and real-time combat. Never bothered getting my character strong enough to do /xplayers because I'd rather play a better action-RPG.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#79KURRUPTORPosted 8/19/2013 8:58:45 PM
daemon_dan posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...
Modernizing a game does not always make it bad, imo (and many other peoples') DA:O did a great job of modernizing the genre. If you want to play Baldur's Gate then go play Baldur's Gate it was a great game for it's time and it's still very fun, but there is no reason that DA:O should try to be the exact same game, it's not what was intended and to criticize it for that doesn't make much sense to me.

It doesn't HAVE to but uh....yea, it always does. Right this second I can't name a series that (or genre if you want to broaden it) that got better when it was "modernized", but I can throw out a list of a dozen that went the complete opposite in seconds.

AC -> ACII
TL -> TL2
Tomb Raider 4-whatever -> New Tomb Raider
The Witcher -> The Witcher 2

A few games that "modernized" into a better game. And that's just sequels not genre's.

DA:O imo was better than BG was, the general premises of the games is the same but I really like the way DA:O worked the combat out to be not quite real time and not quite turn based but a beautiful mixture in between the two.

AC was modern already, and AC II wasn't modernization, just a sequel and some tweaking.

Torchlight 1 and 2 are almost the same game but the second has multiplayer. And neither is modernized at all. You want to see what a diablo style game modernized is, go play Diablo 3. Let's see how you feel

Tomb Raider: The new Tomb Raider is fun. But it's not better than all of its predecessors, cause putting in all that Uncharted and Gears of War crap turned it into a TPS game instead of a puzzle and exploration game with some shooting.

The Witcher 2 wasn't modernized. Changes to the system =/= modernization.

SO

There ya go

...OK gotcha so changes to a game that are bad = modernization.
Changes to a game that are good = changes.

I guess if we go by that logic then yes I totally agree that modernization of games is bad... well played sir well played.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#80KURRUPTORPosted 8/19/2013 9:41:55 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
Shuriko posted...

hey, games have bugs. but pc gamers know about consoles, they don't click an icon a thousand times over and over lol

just admit it, BG2 > Origins. ^_^

i don't play them for romance mini-games, but is that what you did lol? you could have advanced time from the console, you know. the other romances are fine, btw.

and try being honest with yourself, DA:O made the opposite mistake with Morrigan who could be romanced almost immediately, what solution was there for that - a mod? lol

So using console is totally legit form of playing a PC game... modding a PC game on the other hand is just LOL worthy.

Be more careful there buddy... your fanboy is totally showing.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.