This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me which Windows iterations sucked and why?

#11SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 12:15:59 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Really the only Windows that truly sucked was ME. Vista was a decent enough OS that targeted a higher end machine than what the market was expecting and had severe advertising issues.

95 was really bad too.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#12Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 12:18:53 PM
Uhhh, no. 95 was about the best OS on the planet at the time it came out. Huge improvement over 3.1
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#13SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 12:24:45 PM
I remember it being very buggy when it came out.

Of course, I was a pre-teen at the time, so I may have just been dumb.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#14Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 12:28:35 PM
It was the mid 90s and we were still based on DOS. Everything was buggy. It's still a big step up from what came before. Unless you were fortunate enough to be running actual, honest to god UNIX 95 was about as good as it got.
---
#15Bossdog421Posted 8/19/2013 12:38:20 PM
I've had plenty of issues with every other version of windows, but nothing that made ME stand out more than them. I must be the only one in existence that didn't have a ton of issues with Windows ME.

3.1, XP and 7 were the only ones i would consider "great".
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#16Jonny2284Posted 8/19/2013 12:43:34 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Really the only Windows that truly sucked was ME. Vista was a decent enough OS that targeted a higher end machine than what the market was expecting and had severe advertising issues.

I swear people have forgotten the bug ridden mess Vista was at release. Yes, it's stable and quite good now but it was a ****ing nightmare at release.
#17SteamsterPosted 8/19/2013 12:48:55 PM
Jonny2284 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I swear people have forgotten the bug ridden mess Vista was at release. Yes, it's stable and quite good now but it was a ****ing nightmare at release.

Yeah, it was bad for sometime.

But in the end it's fine. If you go out and install Vista right now then you'll be fine.
#18Lemur_HPosted 8/19/2013 12:53:11 PM
Jonny2284 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

But was that Vista's fault or driver manufacturers being ill-prepared for a new Windows release after being on the stagnant Windows XP?
#19Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 12:54:31 PM
Most of the "bug ridden mess" of Vista's release was people trying to run it on older machines that they shouldn't have been. Part of that was due to MS's brilliant "Vista Ready" marketing scheme. The OS hasn't really gotten better so much as the baseline hardware has moved on. And in case you've forgotten XP had the same type of problems at launch only worse.
---
#20SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/19/2013 12:58:46 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Most of the "bug ridden mess" of Vista's release was people trying to run it on older machines that they shouldn't have been. Part of that was due to MS's brilliant "Vista Ready" marketing scheme. The OS hasn't really gotten better so much as the baseline hardware has moved on. And in case you've forgotten XP had the same type of problems at launch only worse.

So, so true.
---