This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is C# good for begginers?

#1greenyoshi46Posted 8/19/2013 3:26:47 PM
Is it? - Results (79 votes)
Yes. Because...
48.1% (38 votes)
No. Because...
51.9% (41 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'va started writing some simple command prompts in the C# language with visual studio express C# 2010 or whatever the name of the program is and I'm wondering if there's something better to learn first or If i should continue with C#.
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#2btaylorstlPosted 8/19/2013 3:29:07 PM
Yeah, I think it would be. I found it extremely easy to use when I started coding again a few years ago (I have a CS degree but don't do any real programming in my job.) I'm not sure how much my prior programming background helped me pick it up, but it was exceptionally easy to do a lot of things I remember being quite a bit more of a pain in stuff like C++ and Java.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#3Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 3:29:24 PM
Doesn't matter what you learn first. The specific syntax of a language is only a tiny part of what programming actually is. Once you know one language of a particular paradigm you can pick up others quickly. The important part is learning how to think in terms of algorithms and generalities.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#4ivanwind15Posted 8/19/2013 3:31:10 PM(edited)
No, C++ is. Understand that and you'll be able to understand any programming language. Starting with C# will hide huge programming concepts from you, and it'll be much harder if you want to go to a different language.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#5SnipeStarPosted 8/19/2013 3:36:09 PM
ivanwind15 posted...
No, C++ is. Understand that and you'll be able to understand any programming language. Starting with C# will hide huge programming concepts from you, and it'll be much harder if you want to go to a different language.

i second this
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#6DBNULLdPosted 8/19/2013 3:37:13 PM
ivanwind15 posted...

Correct. Get dependent on a GC and you're screwed if you need to use a another language. Not to mention C# is completely controlled my Microsoft.
---
Hee-ho.
#7DBNULLdPosted 8/19/2013 3:37:13 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8greenyoshi46(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 3:37:54 PM
SnipeStar posted...
ivanwind15 posted...

i second this

What's the best program for c++. Visual studio?
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#9Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 3:41:07 PM(edited)
Best for learning is a basic text editor and a command line compiler. Add an IDE later after you know what you're doing. As a matter of preference I'd start in a linux vm working with gcc and vi/emacs.

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#10JKatarnPosted 8/19/2013 3:43:23 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Doesn't matter what you learn first. The specific syntax of a language is only a tiny part of what programming actually is. Once you know one language of a particular paradigm you can pick up others quickly. The important part is learning how to think in terms of algorithms and generalities.

This, if you don't enjoy solving problems and thinking logically you probably won't enjoy programming, no matter how simple the syntax is.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES