This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is C# good for begginers?

#11greenyoshi46(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 2:43:26 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Best for learning is a basic text editor and a command line compiler. Add an IDE later after you know what you're doing. As a matter of preference I'd start in a linux vm working with gcc and vi/emacs.

I like the Microsoft programs better because they tell me if there is an error in my code.
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#12ivanwind15Posted 8/19/2013 2:47:00 PM(edited)
greenyoshi46 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Best for learning is a basic text editor and a command line compiler. Add an IDE later after you know what you're doing. As a matter of preference I'd start in a linux vm working with gcc and vi/emacs.

I like the Microsoft programs better because they tell me if there is an error in my code.

Again, that's why you should take his advice. You'll become too reliant on the intellisense, which by the way, is AWFUL with C++, lots of fake errors. Best to use the command line compiler, look at the errors and warnings it spits out, and then correct your code based on that. It'll help you learn the language better.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#13Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 2:46:50 PM
Any decent compiler will kick out errors if you try to compile something wrong. That said, if you want to rely on crutches that's on you.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#14GarhinderPosted 8/19/2013 3:16:30 PM
ivanwind15 posted...
No, C++ is. Understand that and you'll be able to understand any programming language. Starting with C# will hide huge programming concepts from you, and it'll be much harder if you want to go to a different language.

There may be something I'm missing, but what exactly does C# hide?
#15r7gerrabbitPosted 8/19/2013 3:19:14 PM
C# is a fantastic language, but it is very high level.
It does a lot of things for you and creates less code.

For an experienced coder it can be really fun to tinker around in, especially with LINQ.
For a beginning coder it hides too much from you and doesn't introduce you to basic principles to lay the foundation of your knowledge down.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#16Orestes417Posted 8/19/2013 3:19:20 PM
Garhinder posted...
ivanwind15 posted...
No, C++ is. Understand that and you'll be able to understand any programming language. Starting with C# will hide huge programming concepts from you, and it'll be much harder if you want to go to a different language.

A whole bunch of pitfalls like manual memory management
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#17GarhinderPosted 8/19/2013 3:21:57 PM
Ah, well, good point. I've not worried about memory management since I barely need to. I'm a web developer, so I rarely need to interact directly with the hardware. At most, I just make sure to minimize memory consumption, database connections, etc. I guess it depends in what you want to program.
#18MarceloSampaioPosted 8/19/2013 3:24:31 PM
Garhinder posted...
ivanwind15 posted...

I wouldn't say that C# "hide" things. But see, C# made things easier. Its more automated, more beginner-friendly. C++ is more complex at first.

Starting with C# is like learning to drive in a car with automatic transmission, then trying to drive a car with manual transmission. Its POSSIBLE, but harder.

If you plan on only using C#, starting with it is ok, but I think its better learning C++ first, then you'll understand the basics of most programing languages.
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#19gg_easyPosted 8/19/2013 3:24:50 PM
Please, please don't start with C++. C++ is a very dumb language. There are many frustrating things about it and many menial things that are a nuisance even for experienced programmers.

Please don't listen to people saying you should learn vim and emacs. They're great editors, but just another obstacle in the way of getting your hands on real code. They are not easy to pick up. People get elitist about them though. I took these people's advice a while back and got bored before I ever really got to coding. It delayed my career by maybe half a year when I went off and did something else.

Java was made to make C++ less dumb. Java is still pretty dumb. C# was made to make Java less dumb. You're two generations down (well, there was Delphi in between, that was sort-of-dumb with some good ideas).

The company I work for lets new recruits (who may not have much prior programming experience) loose on C# first of all. You can make stuff with it, stuff that you might actually want to make, really quite easily. Get a book on object oriented programming, mess around with some console apps, even (heaven forbid) some Windows Forms in Visual Studio. Once you're hooked, once you know about inheritance and polymorphism and delegates, once you have an app that you're just a little bit proud of, then going to C++ and messing around with awful things like the finer details of memory management is a lot less boring.

But that's just what I think.
---
easy
#20neroAngeloPosted 8/19/2013 3:32:24 PM
Orestes417 posted...

ivanwind15 posted...

Worst programming advice ever. Starting with something easy (like C#) is the best way to go. You don't learn to swim by jumping in the ocean 50 miles out.
---
PSWii360 - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB