This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is C# good for begginers?

#31SlaynPosted 8/21/2013 10:42:02 AM
Topic went expected at gamefaqs.

Advice in all directions.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#32New LinkPosted 8/21/2013 10:44:56 AM
No, C# is a horrible language, it's not good for anyone.

If you need a C-based language with more "umph" than pure C, C++ should be your GOTO.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#33Ch3wyPosted 8/21/2013 10:45:30 AM
You should start with assembly.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#34KaushadPosted 8/21/2013 10:51:07 AM
No, as a beginner you should make a choice between c++, python, or java(maybe.)

If you want to have the absolute best of everything, C++
if you want something easy to learn, but still teach you a lot of the basics, Python
if you want some sort of middle ground, with a lot of cross platform support, java.

I recommend python > C++ > C# or java> java or C# > assembly or C.
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.
#35New LinkPosted 8/21/2013 10:53:27 AM
Kaushad posted...
No, as a beginner you should make a choice between c++, python, or java(maybe.)

If you want to have the absolute best of everything, C++
if you want something easy to learn, but still teach you a lot of the basics, Python
if you want some sort of middle ground, with a lot of cross platform support, java.

I recommend python > C++ > C# or java> java or C# > assembly or C.

Python is an excellent starting ground. It'll go over all of the basics and forces that stupid whitespace... which forces good habbit of whitespace.

I'd skip C# alltogether though, it really is a bad language with black-box functions that if you get too used to, you'll be going for an interview and fail a simple fizzbuzz test.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#36Orestes417Posted 8/21/2013 10:55:29 AM
C# is no worse than Java, and at some point odds are you *will* have to have some sort of passing familiarity with Java
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#37New LinkPosted 8/21/2013 11:11:16 AM
Orestes417 posted...
C# is no worse than Java, and at some point odds are you *will* have to have some sort of passing familiarity with Java

Meh, I wouldn't advise Java either. Yeah its easy but it's garbage collector ends up with devs not knowing how to do basic memory management, and being forced into an object oriented paradigm makes it s usecase fairly limited (or overcomplicated) as most non-game java software can be written better using a functional paradigm, and sometimes in a procedural paradigm in which case Java only makes your task far more complicated than it needs to be.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
#38New LinkPosted 8/21/2013 11:29:11 AM
greenyoshi46 posted...
SnipeStar posted...
ivanwind15 posted...
No, C++ is. Understand that and you'll be able to understand any programming language. Starting with C# will hide huge programming concepts from you, and it'll be much harder if you want to go to a different language.

i second this

What's the best program for c++. Visual studio?

Gcc with either vim or emacs. Visual Studio has a lot of the same abstraction problems as c#. If you only know how to code in Visual Studio, and then get a job where you aren't using windows, you may not know how to actually compile or debug the code you've written, as you relied on VS too heavy for those tasks

My choice is vim, it is ridiculously more efficient than using the editor inside visual studio, the only other editor that compares to it is emacs. gcc is also the standard, so its good to get used to.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
#39Orestes417Posted 8/21/2013 11:38:49 AM
Thing is, as a professional the choice of language isn't up to you the vast majority of the time. You need to be able to adapt to what's given. I think it was Stroustrup who said that anyone considering themselves professional needs to know 3-7 languages very well.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#40New LinkPosted 8/21/2013 11:42:51 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Thing is, as a professional the choice of language isn't up to you the vast majority of the time. You need to be able to adapt to what's given. I think it was Stroustrup who said that anyone considering themselves professional needs to know 3-7 languages very well.

Well said. I was all set to start my current project in Haskell when they decided that it would be too difficult for future devs to understand and the project was moved to Ruby. I didn't know Ruby and had to learn it at the drop of a hat.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!