This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think is the main reason behind a failed game?

#1xLexLuth0rxPosted 8/20/2013 12:21:42 AM
If you were to put the blame on one specific thing that takes a potentially great game and turns it into complete crap when it finally launches, what would it be? There are so many people that are part of making a typical AAA title yet it amazes me how many completely miss the mark.

I don't expect everything to be a true gem, but some games are just completely horrible and you wonder how on Earth they ever actually released. It's as if they have no QA teams internally and/or no one was willing to stand up and say, "This is complete S*** and we can't release it!"

I know multiple factors can affect it, just looking for what you might think would be the biggest or most common reason.

Or maybe most "bad" games aren't really bad, we as a community just expect too much?
---
"Trust me Clark, our friendship is gonna be the stuff of legend."
FC: 0860-3416-4781 // Lex in Smallvil // ACNL
#2RetrowirePosted 8/20/2013 12:23:36 AM
inb4itdepends
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#3arleasPosted 8/20/2013 12:27:27 AM
it depends
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#4Lemur_HPosted 8/20/2013 12:33:12 AM
"This is complete S*** and we can't release it!"

This isn't an option for most studios. They simply can't afford to scrap an entire project that's been in development. They also have strict deadlines and the game must launch.

And it depends.
#5ThunderPotatoPosted 8/20/2013 12:59:24 AM
Time or money
---
http://jgpgaming.tumblr.com/
#6xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 1:19:07 AM
I was more thinking about who within the team(s) are contributing to the overall failure? Basically, do you think it's unrealistic goals from senior management, poor talent, crappy QA teams, etc? At the end of the day, someone has to be accountable for poor sales.

I guess each of these things can play a part differently with each game so maybe there really is no consistent issue cross the board. Maybe having so many hands in the pot is the reason...
---
"Trust me Clark, our friendship is gonna be the stuff of legend."
FC: 0860-3416-4781 // Lex in Smallvil // ACNL
#7Mr_LundegaardPosted 8/20/2013 1:21:11 AM
Totally depends
---
Steam: Symbolic
#8x_stevey_xPosted 8/20/2013 1:53:54 AM
for be the biggest thing that makes games fail is.. not being able to play them. think of the recent sim city fiasco .. or diablo 3.. or bethesda games. i mean it's hard for a game to be good when it just crashes, or you can't connect to their servers, or you have constant frame rate issues or bugs.

most games, even bad ones, i enjoy playing the first time just to experience them and appreciate them for what they are and what the developers envisioned. .. as long as i can actually play them :@
#9x_stevey_xPosted 8/20/2013 1:59:25 AM
also just to point out there have been quite a few games notorious for being rushed or under time/money constraints.. such as mortal kombat 9 or mario kart 7 .. they are still great games in my opinion , not saying that's not a major contributing factor though.. but there are a lot failed games that have plenty of time and budget
#10ajko000Posted 8/20/2013 2:02:17 AM
Everything except the developers.